World News Current Affairs (Page : 11)
Friday, Jan 17, 2014
India occupies a disappointing 97th spot in the recently (Jan 2014) published 'Global Food Index 2014' that listed 125 countries with adequate available da
Thursday, Jan 16, 2014
The newly released Economic Freedom Index 2014 paints ambivalent picture of India placing it at 120th place out of 178 countries in the ranking. On one han
Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014
Bangladesh, a country located in Indian sub-continent recently underwent parliamentary elections which should have been a smooth democratic process. Rather, it
Monday, Jan 13, 2014
Ariel Sharon, the former Prime Minister of Israel, has passed away aged 85. He, an acclaimed military leader who had fought in all of Israel's major w
Monday, Jan 13, 2014
South Sudan, a land locked country located in the middle Africa is facing a crisis of democratic transformation since it won its independence on 9 July 2011 aft
Friday, Jan 10, 2014
23 Indian-Americans have made it to the latest Forbes' annual list of the world's "brightest young stars" under the age of 30. Key Points: The Fo
Thursday, Jan 09, 2014
Former Somali Prime Minister Abdiweli Mohamed Ali has been elected as the new and the 4th President of Puntland - an autonomous region of Somalia. He pipped the
Saturday, Jan 04, 2014
Latvia has joined single currency union 'Eurozone' as 18th state. The move will see its old currency Lat swap for the euro. Though as of now the people have bee
Friday, Jan 03, 2014
Hery Rajaonarimampianina, ex-finance minister in the outgoing president Andry Rajoelina government has won the presidential run-off election defeating his rival
Tuesday, Dec 31, 2013
On Dec 3, 2013 India ratified one million USD aid to Syria at The Hague, Netherlands, to help Syria accomplish the much talked and targeted chemical weapons des
World News Tidbits ( Dec 31, 2013 - Jan 17, 2014 )
- Jan 17, 2014 India occupies a disappointing 97th spot in the recently (Jan 2014) published 'Global Food Index 2014' that listed 125 countries with adequate available data. - read more
- Jan 17, 2014 The World Bank forecast Indian economy to grow over 6 percent in 2014-15 and 7% for 2016-17 riding on hike in global demand and rising domestic investment.
- Jan 14, 2014 Nigeria passes anti-homosexuality bill which criminalises gay marriage, public displays of same-sex relationships, and belonging to gay groups. Recently Uganda has also passed similar law which prescribes life sentence for the offence.
- Jan 13, 2014 Ariel Sharon, former Prime Minister of Israel, passes away aged 85. - read more
- Jan 10, 2014 23 Indians in Forbes' global list of "brightest young stars". - read more
- Jan 09, 2014 Abdiweli Mohamed Ali elected the new President of 'Puntland'. - read more
- Jan 08, 2014 US under the grip of unprecedented cold weather as 'polar air' brings temperature to the arctic level. The historic winter chill has forced the mid-west and northeastern parts of the country into virtual hibernation as Chicago temperature plummets to -26 degree celsius. - read more
Jan 07, 2014
Ruling party Awami League sweeps 10th general elections in Bangladesh with three-fourth majority.
- The result of this farcical election were known even before single vote was cast as more than half the seats (153) were won unopposed by ruling coalition due to poll boycott by major opposition parties.
- Awami league secured 231 seats (127 uncontested) overall in 300-constituency parliament.
- 8 of the 147 contested constituencies will undergo repolling as balloting was marred by electoral violence and fraud.
- Main opposition BNP alongwith other opposition parties had boycotted the polls over prime minister Sheikh Hasina's refusal to introduce a non-party interim government to oversee the elections.
- Jan 04, 2014 Latvia becomes 18th nation to join Eurozone - read more
- Jan 03, 2014 Madagascar gets new President. - read more