Yelavarthy Nayudamma Award 2014 goes to 2 women scientists
In a historic first, The prestigious science honour 'Yelavarthy Nayudamma Award 2014' has gone to 2 women scientists; Tessy Thomas and Geeta Varadan, for outstanding contributions in the fields of missile technology and remote sensing.
- Tessy Thomas is the Director of Advanced Systems Laboratory of the DRDO, Hyderabad alongwith being Project Director (Mission) of Agni V.
- On the other hand, Geeta Varadan is the Director of the Advanced Data Processing Research Institute of ISRO.
About the Award
- The award was established in 1986 in the memory of eminent chemical scientist and internationally renowned leather technologist Yelavarthy Nayudamma.
- He was killed in the mid-air explosion of Air India flight 182 on its way to Delhi from Canada; the incident is popularly referred to as Kanishka bombing.
- Recipients are chosen every year on the basis of their contributions to the development of science and technology in the country.
- Last year, the 2013 award had gone to world renowned astrophysics scientist and cosmologist Jayant Vishnu Narlikar.
- Sam Pitroda, Lalji Singh, Rajendra Pawar, V Shanta, VK Saraswat, T Ramasami, A Sivathanu Pillai and Nori Dattatreyudu.