Vishal Sikka appointed as the new CEO of Infosys
Faltering Infosys has found a ray of hope in its next CEO & MD - Vishal Sikka. He will be the first non-founder CEO of nation's second-biggest IT outsourcer after TCS. The beleagured company, marred by high-profile exit recently, is trying to revive its fortune through this overhaul.
- He will be replacing SD Shibulal in both capacities beginning August 1, 2014.
- NR Narayana Murthy and S Gopalakrishnan will voluntarily step down as Executive Chairman and Executive Vice-Chairman, respectively.
- Murthy will be given a largely ceremonial post of Chairman Emeritus.
- UB Pravin Rao, current president and whole-time director, has been elevated to the post of Chief Operating Officer.
- KV Kamath is back as non-Executive Chairman of Infosys board.
About the Man
- He earlier was Chief Technology Officer at ERP giant SAP labs.
- He is considered as the brain behind SAP’s Hana platform, the quickest one from SAP to reach $1 billion revenue.
- He studied computer engineering at MS University Baroda and holds a Phd in Computer Science from Stanford University.
- For the first time in the history of Bangalore-based IT major, Its CEO will be based out of USA - not Bangalore.
- Unlike Infosys - a service provider - SAP is primarily a product company.
- This inexperience may pose a problem for him while managing the company.