UK: first country to legalize creation of babies from three people
Britain's 'Lower House' has passed a historic law which allow parents borrow a much healthier mitochondria from a donor woman to boost the immunity of the resultant child.
The bill however needs to be passed by the Upper House to become a law.
The move is a life-saving one for babies having mothers with defective mitochondria.
The 3rd parent - a donor woman with healthy mitochondria - will eliminate the potential health deficiency arising out of the not-so-good mitochondria of the real mother.
How it works?
The baby will be made through IVF technology using Mitochondrial Donation Technique.
What is Mitochondrial Donation Technique?
- It combines the DNA of the two parents with the healthy mitochondria of a donor woman.
- The technique replaces defective mitochondria in the mother's egg with the healthy one donated by the donor woman.
- The egg is then fertilized with the father's sperm.
- This makes the child escape all the shortcomings arising out of defective mitochondria like brain damage, muscle wasting, heart failure and blindness.
- Its the tiny compartment within the cell which convert the food we eat into usable energy.
- This is the reason we call it 'powerhouse of the cell'.
- It has its own DNA, but does not affect important characteristics of the resultant child like his appearance and other visible traits.
Why only women as donor?
- Mitochondria are passed down only from the mother and father has no role in it.