Reliance Jio launches 4G Services for employees
Reliance has announced the launch of Reliance Jio 4G services using LTE (Long Term Evolution) Technology. The 4G services was launched by company’s Chairman Mukesh Ambani on the 83rd birth anniversary of Dhirubhai Ambani, founder of the Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) at a mega launch event in Navi Mumbai.
However initial phase of Reliance Jio 4G services launched is limited the use of over 1 lakh Reliance employees and their families across India. The commercial launch of the service is expected in early 2016 and financial year 2016-17 will be the first full year of commercial operations.
Key Features of Reliance Jio 4G services :
- Reliance Jio 4G services will focus mainly on three-pronged features that are broadband networks, affordable smart phones and the availability of rich content and applications
- It will provide host of services along with the regular voice and data. These will include a big collection of music (Jio Beats); around 200 television channels with back-up (Jio Play) and movies (Jio on-demand).
- It aims to provide unique combination of high speed data up to 1 gigabyte per second (Gbps), telecom, media, digital commerce and payment services. As per field trials, download speed on 4G network of Reliance Jio during its beta-test phase peaked at 70Mbps but remained in 15-30Mbps range on most occasions.
- Reliance Jio holds the highest amount of liberalised spectrum among telecom operators which can be used for deploying any technology for mobile services. It has a total of 751.1 MHz spectrum across 800MHz, 1800MHz and 2300MHz bands.
4G in India :
After the launch of Reliance Jio 4G services, Reliance became the fourth telecom service provider in India to launch 4G services. Bharti Airtel led by Sunil Bharti Mittal was first telecom service provider in the country to launch 4G service using LTE Technology in Kolkata in 2012. It was followed by Aircel in July 2014 (in 4 circles Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar and Odisha) and Vodafone India on 8th December 2015 in Kochi, Kerala.
Facts to know about 4G services :
4G, (fourth generation), is the fourth generation of mobile telecommunications technology, succeeding 3G. Two 4G candidate systems are commercially deployed world-wide viz. LTE (Long Term Evolution) and Mobile WiMax standard.
- 4G LTE is wireless communications standard developed by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP).
- WiMax standard was first commercially in South Korea in 2007 and LTE standard was first used in Norway and Sweden in 2009.
Speed : 4G services have been designed to provide up to 10x speeds of 3G networks for various mobile devices . It can provide internet speed of at least 100 Mbit per second (Mbps) to 1 Gbps.
Services : 4G services should provide Potential and current applications which include amended mobile web access, IP telephony, gaming services, high-definition mobile TV, video conferencing, 3D television, and cloud computing