Rami Hamdallah to head the first united government in Palestine in 7 years
Hamas and Fatah have finally honoured their April treaty by forming a united national government in Palestine since its political division in 2007. Rami Hamdallah has been sworn in as the new Prime Minister by President Mahmoud Abbas.
- The move will now help the country to present a unified and credible face to the world.
- The deal has now amicably ended a 7-year-long bloody rift between the two regions politically divorced since 2007.
- The accord is also important for Hamas which seeks to maintain its relevance and end its regional isolation after falling out with Egypt, Syria and Iran in the wake of the Arab uprisings.
- The two ruling factions of Fatah (in control of West Bank) and Hamas (ruling Gaza Strip) had inked an agreement to form a united national government in April 2014.
- The consensus-based central government has come up under the umbrella of the Palestinian Liberation Organisation (PLO).
- The national election may also be conducted in about six months from now.
The History of Rift?
- Hamas, an extremist militant organization, won Palestinian parliamentary elections in January 2006 to the surprise of many.
- The capture of power and events thereafter led to a rise in clashes between the 2 parties.
- This soon spiralled into a bloody conflict which saw Fatah being driven out from the coastal enclave of Gaza Strip and relegated to West Bank territory.
The Pre-deal Situation
- Hamas independently administered the 40-kilometre long Gaza strip that is home to nearly 18 lacs Palestinians.
- Fatah governed areas of the West Bank that houses over 27 lacs Palestinians.
- Mahmoud Abbas (Fatah): Was President of West Bank territory
- Ismail Haniyeh (Hamas) : Was Prime Minister of Gaza Strip
- The Jewish nation has viewed the deal with disbelief and foreboding.
- It has expressed its anger with Fatah, the faction its involved in peace talk with, calling the deal a setback for regional peace and security.
- Its notable that US and EU together with Israel have declared Fatah a terrorist organization.
- (Hamas has an official intention to destroy Israel)