India's first television channel dedicated to farmers "DD Kisan" launched by Narendra Modi
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, today called for increasing food-grain productivity from 2 tons per hectare to 3 tons per hectare. Addressing a gathering of farmers at New Delhi's Vigyan Bhawan on the occasion of the launch of DD Kisan, Doordarshan's channel dedicated exclusively to farmers, the Prime Minister also called for making the "Tehsil" the unit of agricultural planning and development.
- The Prime Minister said that if the country has to move forward, villages must progress, and if villages are to progress, then it is essential for agriculture to progress. He said there was a time when agriculture was the most preferred of professions, but over a period of time, its attractiveness had declined to rock bottom. He added that with the right incentives and actions, this trend could be completely reversed.
- The Prime Minister recalled the inspiration of former Prime Minister Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri, which had led farmers to make the country self-sufficient in the production of foodgrains. He said the same inspiration and spirit was needed again, so that the nation became self-sufficient in the production of pulses and oilseeds.
- The Prime Minister said the DD Kisan channel should keep an eye and inform farmers about the changes in weather, global markets etc., so that farmers can plan ahead and take the right decisions well in time.
- The Prime Minister called for re-engaging rural youth with agriculture in a big way. He said DD Kisan channel can also highlight the efforts of progressive farmers, so that their innovations can be replicated across the country.
- The Prime Minister called for farmers to adopt a three-pronged approach to agriculture, which balanced farming, animal husbandry and tree plantation.
How will "DD Kisan " benifit farmers?
- Kisan Channel will telecast updated information on agriculture and related subjects for the benefit of its target audience including cattle rearers, bee keepers, poultry owners, mechanics and craftsmen.
- Kisan Channel would include information broadcast on the changing weather condition well in advance, and low cost measures to protect crops and enhance production during such conditions.
- Advice of meteorologists and agricultural scientists would be broadcast periodically for the farmers so that they may know about the crop diseases, ways to protect crops from various diseases and on how to increase the crop yield.
- The channel will give information on newer ways of agricultural practices being followed world over and the R&D in the agri sector across the world. The channel has tie-ups with IMD, IARI, agricultural universities, Krish Vigyan Kendras