India is the third most HIV infested country: UNAIDS
The UN agency on HIV/AIDS put the total number of victims at 35 million - with 19 million of them being unaware of their status. The report titled 'UNAIDS Gap Report' ranks India as the 3rd most infested country in the world with 21 lakh HIV infected people.
Points to Know
- The sub-Saharan Africa tops the list globally with 24.7 million HIV-infected people followed by Asia and the Pacific with an estimated 4.8 million.
- There were 2.1 million new cases in 2013 - 38 percent less than the 3.4 million figure in 2001.
Signs of Encouragement
- UN observed that if the trends of decline in number of new HIV infections and deaths from Aids continue; It can be brought under control by 2030.
- However, increasing awareness of and access to HIV test is needed to achieve that goal.
- If the UN succeeds in reining in this terminating epidemic by 2030; the world will save potential 11.2 million AIDS-related deaths, in addition to averting 18 million new HIV infections from now onwards.
Other Safety Measures
- UN is also engaged in efforts to increase access to ART (antiretroviral therapy) - that significantly reduces likelihood of virus transmission from patient to their sexual partner.
Who are Most Vulnerable??
- HIV prevalence is estimated to be 28 times higher among people who inject drugs, 12 times higher among sex workers, 19 times higher among gay men and other men who have sex with men and up to 49 times higher among transgender women than among the rest of the adult population.
What is UNAIDS?
- The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) works to achieve complete eradication of HIV related hardships from the world.
- UNAIDS unites the efforts of 11 UN organizations—UNHCR, UNICEF, WFP, UNDP, UNFPA, UNODC, UN Women, ILO, UNESCO, WHO and the World Bank—and works closely with global and national partners to maximize results for the AIDS response.