India, Germany ink 18 MoUs and agreements in various sectors
India and Germany have signed 18 agreements and memorandum of understanding (MoUs) to fast-track business approvals and make arrangement to make it easier for German companies to operate in India.
The fast-track approvals process will ensure that German firms will have a single point of contact in the Indian administration which will make it easier for them to do bussiness in India.
The agreement is the first of its kind and comes as Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeks to attract foreign investment in support of his "Make in India" initiative.
India and Germany also agreed to enhance ties in key areas of defence manufacturing, trade, intelligence and clean energy during wide-ranging talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and German Chancellor Angela Merkel after which 18 MoUs were inked.
Joint Declaration of Intent (JDI) on Languages :-
- Promotion of German as a foreign language in India and the promotion of modern Indian languages in Germany. A separate MoU will be signed later between Kendriya Vidyalayas and Maxmuler Bhawan under which German will be taught as an additional foreign language. Similarly modern Indian languages including Sanskrit will also be taught in Germany.
Indo-German Solar Enegry Partnership :-
- Germany announced to provide loan assistance of over one billion euros for India's solar projects in the next five years besides an existing assistance of over one billion Euros for India's Green Energy Corridor
Skill development and vocational education and training :-
- The pacts signed between the two sides will provide for cooperation in the fields of skill development and vocational education.
Security Cooperation :-
- Sharing their concerns about growing threat and global reach of terrorism and extremism, Modi and Merkel agreed to build closer collaboration to counter these challenges. Indo-German partnership will grow in in areas like "defence manufacturing, trade in advanced technology, intelligence, and countering terrorism and radicalism.
- The pacts signed between the two sides will provide for cooperation in the fields of civil aviation between Ministry of Civil Aviation and Federal Ministry of the Interior. As per provisions of another pact, certain flights between India and Germany will have armed marshals on board to prevent any hijacking attempt.
Disaster Management :-
- The pacts signed between the two sides will provide for cooperation in the fields disaster management and combating challenges of climate change.
Cooperation in Agricultural Studies and Food Safety :-
- The pacts signed between the two sides will provide for cooperation in the fields of Agricultural Studies and food safety. A Joint Statement of Intent was signed between the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) and the Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety (BVL) on cooperation in food safety.
- Another pact was signed on cooperation in food safety between the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR) and the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
Development of cooperation in the field of Railways :-
- To enhance ties in railways sector, a joint declaration of intent was signed on the cooperation between Germany's Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure and Ministry of Railways.
MoU on counter terrorism :-
- A separate MoU on security cooperation proposes to intensify cooperation in countering terrorism in all its form, including recruitment, financing, terrorist propaganda, training and terrorists movements.Modi and Merkel agreed to build closer collaboration to design a framework for counter terrorism.
MoU in the field of manufacturing:-
- MoU to boost manufacturing sector was signed between Department of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises and Fraunhofer Society of Germany.
Declaration on Indo-German Science and Technology Centre (IGSTC):-
- It was signed between Union Ministry of Science and Technology and the Federal Ministry of Education and Research for extending the tenure of the Indo-German Science and Technology Centre (IGSTC).