India aims for self-sufficiency in Bulk Drugs
Year 2015 is going to be celebrated as the 'Year of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients' in a reformative step to make India self-sufficient in Bulk Drugs.
What is API or Bulk-Drug ?
- A 'Bulk-Drug' or API is the chemical element of a medicine which lend the product power to heal ailments.
- Since the ingredient is biologically active, any anomalies in its quality may also have negative side-effects on the user; thats why it come under tight regulations.
- Poorly manufactured and contaminated API (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients) may also lead to death in extreme cases.
- India is overly dependent on import from a single source for basic chemicals, intermediates and APIs for many commonly used medicines.
- To avoid the price and supply risks and ensure sustained availability of APIs, we need to be self- sufficient in the manufacturing of this vital component.
- This also is in tune with our ambitious 'Make in India' project.
- Bulk Drugs constitute the backbone of the Pharmaceutical Industry and the sector needs to be incentivized so as to take on the challenge from cheap imports.
- In the same regard, Government had set up Katoch Committee to look into various issues concerning the bulk drugs.
- Now the recommendations forwarded by the Committee is due for Cabinet's approval.