Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2014 awarded
UNESCO Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2014 goes to Turkish investigative journalist Ahmet Sik.
About the Prize
- UNESCO celebrate the World Press Freedom Day (May 3) every year by giving this award to individuals/institutions who have contributed significantly in upholding the right to freedom of expression especially amidst grave threat/danger to life.
- The Prize was created in 1997 by UNESCO’s Executive Board.
Who is Guillermo Cano??
- The prize is a tribute to the Guillermo Cano Isaza - a slain Colombian journalist - who was murdered in the capital Bogota (17 December 1986) as his writings had offended the nation's powerful drug barons.
- Candidates are proposed by UNESCO Member States, and regional or international organizations active in the fields of journalism and freedom of expression.
- Laureates are chosen by a jury of media professionals whose members are appointed for a once renewable three-year term by the Director-General of UNESCO.