Gandhi Peace Prize 2013 to Chandi Prasad Bhatt
Veteran environmentalist Chandi Prasad Bhatt is presented with the Gandhi Peace Prize for the year 2013. The Chipko movement pioneer is one among the nation's first crop of modern green activist.
About the Prize
- The Peace Prize was instituted by the centre in 1995 on the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- This annual award is given to individuals and institutions for their contributions towards social, economic and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.
- It carries a plaque, citation and a cash prize of Rs one crore.
- He has also earned the Ramon Magsaysay Award for community leadership in 1982 followed by the Padma Bhushan in 2005 for his contribution to environment.
- He is also famous for his work on subaltern social ecology.
- 1995: Julius Nyerere (First President of Tanzania)
- 1996: AT Ariyaratne (Founder of Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement)
- 1997: Gerhard Fischer (Work against leprosy and polio)
- 1998: Ramakrishna Mission (Founded by Swami Vivekananda)
- 1999: Baba Amte (work for poor people suffering from leprosy)
- 2000: Nelson Mandela (Former President of South Africa) alongwith the Grameen Bank (Founded by Mohammad Yunus)
- 2001: John Hume (Northern Ireland Politician)
- 2002: Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan
- 2003: Vaclav Havel
- 2004: Coretta Scott King (Widow of Martin Luther King)
- 2005: Desmond Tutu