Cristiano Ronaldo wins FIFA Ballon d’Or/World Player 2013
Portugal's football sensation Cristiano Ronaldo has been chosen by FIFA for "World Player of the Year/ Ballon d’Or " title for the year of 2013. He was in contention of the award along with two other fascinating players- Argentina's Lionel Messi and French Franck Ribery. The official award ceremony was held in Zurich.
- Lionel Messi, who plays for Spanish Football Club Barcelona and is considered best player of modern era, has been winning this award for last 4 years consecutively (2009-12) and was a strong contender this year too.
- Franck Ribery (plays for German club Bayern Munich) helped his club to win treble in 2013- Champions League, Bundesliga and German Cup.
- Cristiano Ronaldo won this award in 2008 also. He dedicated this award to recently deceased Portugal legend Eusebio and Nelson Mandela.
FIFA World Player of the Year / Ballon d’Or Awards 2013
- Award is given based on percentage of votes given to finalists by media, international coaches, captains
- **FIFA World Player of the Year award (given since1991 to 2009) was assimilated into Ballon d'Or (awarded to the best player in Europe since 1956 to 2010) as one award since 2011.
World Player of the Year- Women/ women's Ballon d'Or : Nadine Angerer (German goalkeeper)
- She helped her team win their 2nd successive World cup in China (2007) when Germany didn't concede any goal in all six matches.
- Other Finalists : Marta (Brazil) : FIFA Women’s Player of the Year five times in a row (2006-2010) ; plays for Swedish club Tyreso FF.
Abby Wambach (USA) : Reigning FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year
Coach of the year
- Men : Jupp Heynckes ( Bayern Munich)
- Women : Silvia Neid (Germany)
Special Honorary Ballon d'Or : Pele (Brazilian legend)
- Why : **he never qualified for the Ballon d'Or award during his playing career as he never played European club football and FIFA award only started in 1991.
FIFA Ferenc Puskas best goal award : Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden) (for his stunning overhead kick from 40 yards Vs England).
FIFA President's Prize : Jacques Rogge (Former International Olympic Committee president) ; for a "remarkable personality in sport".
FIFA Fair Play Award : Afghanisthan
UEFA president : Michel Platini
FIFA President : Sepp Blatter
2014 World Cup mascot: Fuleco