Agriculture Ministry launches two mobile Apps for Farmers
Union Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Minister, Radha Mohan Singh has launched two mobile apps namely Crop Insurance and AgriMarket Mobile to benefit farmers. The apps were launched to celebrate the birth anniversary of former Prime Ministers Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Choudhary Charan Singh. Their birthday will be celebrated by organising Kishan Jai Vigyan Week.
Key facts about the apps :
Crop Insurance mobile app:
- Government of India spends huge amounts in extending crop insurance to the farmers so as to provide them relief in case of unforeseen eventualities. Crop insurance is extended by both public and private insurance companies in some cases there is a specific period during which farmers can avail this facility but due to administrative and technical reasons much of this information is not able to reach to the farmers well in time to take advantage of these schemes.
- This Crop Insurance mobile app can be used to find out complete details about cover available but also to calculate the Insurance Premium for notified crops based on area, coverage amount and loan amount in case of a loanee farmer. It can also be used to get details of normal sum insured, extended sum insured, premium details and subsidy information of any notified crop in any notified area.
AgriMarket Mobile app:
- In absence of correct market information sometimes farmers have to suffer losses due to distress sales as they do not have proper knowledge about the ongoing prices in markets around them and to which market should they take their produce for selling.
- This App has been developed with an aim to keep them abreast with crop prices around them. AgriMarket Mobile App can be used to get the market price of crops in the markets within 50 km of the device’s location.
- This app automatically captures the location of person using mobile GPS and fetches the market prices of crops in those markets which fall within the range of 50 km. There is another option to get price of any market and any crop in case person does not want to use GPS location.The prevailing prices are fetched from the Agmarknet portal.
Both these apps have been developed in house by IT Division of the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation & Farmers Welfare and can be downloaded from Google Store or mKisan portal. There is a provision that if any State desire to convert these mobile applications in their local language, they can easily do so by simply providing the names of few keywords in their language. Then this application will be prepared in that language very easily and uploaded on the play store.