4th CICA Summit concludes in Shanghai
China plays host to the 4th CICA Summit in Shanghai. This meeting of regional grouping 'CICA' (Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia) has been attended by 26 countries including India this year.
Points to Know
- Its an inter-governmental forum for enhancing cooperation towards promoting peace, security and stability in Asia.
- The Indian delegation was led by Dinkar Khullar, Secretary (West) in the Ministry of External Affairs.
- The theme of the Summit this year is: 'Strengthening Dialogue, Mutual Trust and Coordination, Building a Peaceful, Stable and Prosperous New Asia'.
- The 24-country organization ushers in two new members namely Bangladesh and Qatar at this summit; extending its membership to 26 states.
- CICA was instituted in 1992 as a platform to enhance regional cooperation among its members through promoting peace, security and stability in Asia.
- The basic idea behind its creation was the recognition that peace, security and stability in the continent leads to positive ripple effects on the rest of the world.
- The First summit: Almaty (Kazakhstan) on June 4, 2002
- The Second summit: Almaty (Kazakhstan) on June 17, 2006
- The Third Summit: Istanbul (Turkey) on 8 June 2010
- The Fourth Summit: Shanghai (China) on 20-21 May 2014
CICA Member Countries:
Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, South Korea, Mongolia, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Russia, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam
- Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Ukraine and US
- OSCE - Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe
- Arab League
- TURKPA - Parliamentary Assembly of Turkic Speaking countries