Microsoft rolls out Windows 10
- Software giant Microsoft has launched globally its first new operating system in almost three years which is designed to work across laptops, desktop and smartphones.
- Windows 10 is basically a amalgamation of the goodness of Windows 7 and Windows 8 because it retains the desktop of Windows 7 and fuses the live tiles of Windows 10 onto the Start Screen
- Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade for users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 but companies will have to pay for their version, as will PC-makers to pre-install it.
New features of Windows 10 includes :-
- New user interface :- Windows 10 works equally well on both touch devices and mouse-and-keyboard PCs, Fullscreen apps can now be easily windowed on the desktop
- New start menu :- Window 10 start menu is a blend of the traditional Start menu from Windows 7 and earlier with the Live Tiles of Windows 8 and Windows Phone
- Cortana :- Microsoft's Cortana has never offered in a desktop operating system before but in Windows 10, Cortana is built into the system’s native search function
- New mail, calendar, photos and maps :- The Mail and Calendar apps have been completely overhauled with new interfaces and features and borrow a lot of ideas and design from Microsoft’s very highly rated Outlook app on iOS, and support a variety of email and calendar services
- Continuum :- It lets devices that can be both tablets and PCs seamlessly switch between the two modes.
- Xbox:- Windows 10 is coming with Xbox app that lets you stream games from your console to a PC or laptop
- Windows Hello :- New Hello feature will let you log in without ever typing in a password. Just sit in front of your computer, and Windows 10 will recognize you and log in
- Microsoft Edge:- New web browser which has replaced Microsoft’s Internet Explorer, it has high speed and many more advanced features, Edge is its first new browser in 20 years
Specifications needed to run Windows 10
>Login To Save for Revision
- Processor: 1GHz or faster processor or SoC
- RAM: 1GB for 32-bit or 2GB for 64-bit
- Hard disk space: 16GB for 32-bit OS and 20GB for 64-bit OS
- Graphics Card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
- Display: Minimum resolution of 800 x 600
- Kalyani Group-Rafael Joint Venture to make Spike missiles
- In a move to deepen India-Israel strategic cooperation Rafael of Israel and India’s Kalyani Group have formed a Joint Venture (JV) to produce Spike Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) in India and Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) will be the system integrator.
- Spike is a third generation, fire-and-forget, man-portable, anti-tank missile. In all, about 40,000 missiles are required to equip the Army’s 382 infantry battalions and 44 mechanised regiments.
- The Joint Venture will be as per Foreign Direct Investment guidelines with 51% ownership held by the Kalyani Group. It should be noted that in October last year the Defence Acquisition Council chaired by then Defence Minister Arun Jaitley had cleared the Spike ATGM deal worth Rs. 3,200 crore deal for 8,000 plus missiles, 300 plus launchers and requisite transfer of technology to an Indian firm
- The companies are talking with the Telangana government to procure land to set up a manufacturing facility in Hyderabad as BDL’s missile unit is located there
What is Spike Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) ?
Rafael, based in Haifa, Israel, manufactures the Spike family of anti-armour weapons. The weapons are lightweight fire-and-forget anti-tank missiles and use electro-optical and fibre-optic technologies. The systems are used by infantry soldiers, special rapid reaction forces, ground forces and helicopter aircrew.>Login To Save for Revision
- Debjani Ghosh appointed as the new President of MAIT
- Debjani Ghosh, who is the vice-president sales and marketing group and managing director of Intel Corporation, South Asia, has been appointed as the new President of Information technology hardware industry body, MAIT (the Manufacturers' Association for Information Technology)
- Debjani Ghosh, is the first woman President of MAIT in its 32 years of history. she will succeed Amar Babu the chief operation officer at Lenovo for Asia Pacific and chairman of Lenovo India.
- Debjani Ghosh has been working with Intel for more than 19 years, was ranked among the 25 Most Powerful Women by Fortune India in 2013. It should be noted that Ghosh played a key role in setting up Intel’s education programme for the Asia Pacific region.
- Debjani Ghosh also chairs the IT Committee at the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI)
MAIT, the apex body representing India’s IT hardware, training and R&D service sectors, was established in 1982 for purposes of scientific, educational and IT Industry promotion.MAIT has emerged as an effective, influential and dynamic organization. Representing Hardware, Training, R&D & Hardware Design and other associated service segments of the Indian IT Industry.MAIT is recognized by both Govt. and the Industry for its role in the growth & development of the IT Hardware industry in India and has emerged as a strong & effective mouthpiece of the industry in the government corridors.>Login To Save for Revision
- Working Group Constituted for Re-drafting of the National Sports Development Code of India
>Login To Save for Revision
- Sports Ministry has constituted a nine-member Working Group to prepare a revised draft of the National Sports Development Code (NSDC).
- The Working Group will be headed by Retired Delhi High Court Judge CK Mahajan and has former hockey skipper Ajitpal Singh and former national TT champion Indu Puri as its members.
- The Sports Code came into force in 2011 but Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and several other National Sports Federations (NSFs) refused to follow Age and Tenure Guidelines
- Since then a lot of developments have taken place in sports sector necessitating more accountability and transparency in the functioning of the sports bodies. Hence, further amendments to the various provisions of NSDCI need to be re-examined and bring about suitable amendments to relevant provisions of the NSDCI.
- The Working Group will examine the existing NSDC from both legal and sports governance angles and facilitate holding of consultations and prepare a revised draft of the NSDCI
- Facebook launches its compressed version ‘Lite’ in India - read more>Login To Save for Revision
- Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) to sell private banking business to Sanctum Wealth
>Login To Save for Revision
- Britain's largest state-owned bank Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) has decided to sell its private banking business in India to Sanctum Wealth Management, a start up firm set by Shiv Gupta
- Shiv Gupta, is also currently managing director of RBS' private banking operations in India. RBS has four private banking offices in India located in New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Chennai.
- The bank had started reducing its footprint in India since 2013 when it sold off its retail and commercial banking business.The reason behind this decision is to make RBS a stronger, simpler, more sustainable business, more aligned with the needs of our customers in the UK and Western Europe
- However it should be noted that the bank has, decided to retain its back-office operations in India. Earlier this year, it had moved 60 back-office roles from the UK to India and it is believed to employ a total of 12,000 people
- Asian Development Bank, Centre ink $300 million loan pact for National Urban Health Mission (NUHM)
- India ink loan agreement of $300 million with Asian Development Bank for National Urban Health Mission
- India has inked loan agreement of $300 million with Manila-headquartered Asian Development Bank (ADB) to support the National Urban Health Mission (NUHM).
- National Urban Health Mission will be ADB's first health project in India so the bank will support ongoing government efforts under the National Urban Health Mission (NUHM) to develop health systems in urban areas that can deliver quality health services that reach the urban poor and vulnerable,
- The loan has been granted from the ADB's Ordinary Capital Resources. It has a 20-year, term including a grace period of five years, and an interest rate to be determined in accordance with ADB's LIBOR-based lending facility.
Asian Development Bank :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) is a regional development bank established on 22 August 1966
- Headquartered:- Metro Manila, Philippines
- The bank admits the members of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific AND and non-regional developed countries
- ADB has 67 members, of which 48 are from within Asia and the Pacific and 19 outside.
- Japan holds the largest proportion of shares at 15.67%. The United States holds 15.56%, China holds 6.47%, India holds 6.36%, and Australia holds 5.81%
- China becomes world's Largest Producer & Consumer of Potatoes
- China has become the world's largest potato producer accounting for nearly a quarter of the global production.
- Recently, the World Potato Congress was held in Beijing's Yanqing county where it was revealed that China plants more than 13.59 million acres of potatoes every year
- More than 1,000 delegates, from developing and developed countries, including growers, researchers, producers, traders, processors and manufacturers attended the conference
- China grew 5.6 million hectares of potato in 2014, yielding in excess of 95 million tonnes making potato the fourth staple after rice, wheat and corn.
- During 2014 China enjoyed the 11th consecutive year of bumper grain harvests even than China imported 71.4 million tonnes of soybean and 19.5 million tonnes of rice, wheat and corn, up 12.7 percent and 33.8 percent respectively.
- Due to huge population there is shortage of farmland in China so it is difficult to improve the yield of wheat and rice but easier with potatoes but it should be noted that With increased potato production and domestic consumption, China is also the biggest potato consumer in the world
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.