Indo Sri Lanka Joint Exercise MITRA SHAKTI 2015 to Commence from today
>Login To Save for Revision
- The Indian and Sri Lankan armies will be conducting their third joint military exercise Mitra Shakti-2015, starting from September 29 at Aundh Military Station in Pune, Maharashtra.
- The exercise would focus on building military to military co-operation and inter-operability. It would be held over a period of 14 days, with the basic objective of enhancing confidence and trust between the two militaries, which are often called upon to engage in anti-terrorism operations including those under the UN mandate.
- The aim of the joint training is to share the best military practices and promoting healthy military to military relations between the two armies and developing joint strategies by sharing expertise of conducting operations.
- The conduct of Joint Military Exercise is also an important step to uphold the values of Peace, Prosperity and Stability in the region. Exercise MITRA SHAKTI-2015 will contribute immensely in developing mutual understanding and respect for each other’s military.
- Google to provide Wi-Fi in 400 Indian railway stations
- Google has announced plans to make Internet accessible to one crore passengers at 100 busiest railway stations in India by the end of next year and will later expand it to 300 other stations, making it one of the largest public Wi-Fi projects in the world. Even with just the first 100 stations online, this project will make Wi-Fi available for more than 10 million people who pass through every day
- To set up public Wi-Fi hotspots, Google is working with the Indian Railways and RailTel, a government-owned provider of telecommunications infrastructure to the railways. The internet service will be offered free initially with an aim to make the project self-sustainable in order to provide Wi-Fi to more stations and other places.
Initiatives taken by Google :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- To help make web content more useful for Indians, many of whom don't speak English, Google launched the Indian Language Internet Alliance last year to foster more local language content, and have built greater local language support into Google products including Hindi Voice Search, an improved Hindi keyboard and support for seven Indian languages with the latest versions of Android.
- To help address the challenges of limited bandwidth, Google recently launched a feature that makes mobile webpages load faster and with less data, and Google has also made YouTube available offline and is planning to bring offline Maps soon.
- Google India has also launched the Internet Saathi project to get more Indian women online. Women make up just a third of India's internet users, and only 12% of the users in rural India
- Former England fast bowler Frank Tyson dies at 85
- Frank Tyson, the former England cricketer regarded as one of the fastest bowlers of all time, has died at the age of 85. He was nicknamed as ‘Typhoon’ for his extreme pace.
- Tyson passed away at a hospital on Australia's Gold Coast. He emigrated to Australia after he retired from cricket in 1960, working as a school master, coach, commentator and author.
Facts about Frank Tyson :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- Tyson was born in 1930 in Farnworth, Lancashire and graduated in English literature from Durham University
- In his career spanning between 1954 and 1959, Tyson had played 17 Tests for England. He had taken 76 wickets at an average of 18.56. His finest performance came in the 1954-55 Ashes in Australia, when he helped England to a 3-1 series win.
- Tyson has played 244 first-class matched between 1952 and 1960, bagging 767 wickets but his unsual bowling action, which enabled to deliver the ball so quickly, took a toll on his body and he retired at age 30
- V Shanmuganathan to hold additional charge of Manipur Governor
- Meghalaya Governor V. Shanmuganathan has been given additional charge of Manipur following death of incumbent Syed Ahmed. A communique issued by the President
- Pranab Mukherjee's office said that Shanmuganathan "will discharge the functions of the Governor of Manipur, in addition to his own duties, until regular arrangements are made".
- 64-year-old Shanmuganathan, who was an RSS worker before joining BJP in 2003, was appointed as Governor of Meghalaya in May this year succeeding Keshari Nath Tripathi.
- Ahmed was appointed as the Governor of Manipur on May 16, 2015. A former Congress leader from Maharashtra, Ahmed was shifted to the north-eastern State from Jharkhand, where he was holding the post of Governor from August 2011 when the UPA Government was in power at the Centre.
Note :- Article 153 of Constitution says that there shall be Governor for each state. But the 7th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1956 has facilitated the appointment of the same person as a governor for two or more states.>Login To Save for Revision
- Renowned Hindi poet Viren Dangwal passes away
Noted Hindi poet Viren Dangwal passed away in Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh after a prolonged illness. He was 68. Dangwal had published three collections of poetry namely Isi Dushchakra Mein Srashta, Duniya Mein and Siyahi Taal.
Award and honours :-
Dushchakra me Shrista was the most famous poem collection of Viren Dangwal which had earned him prestigious Sahitya Academy award in 2004. He was also bestowed with Shrikant Verma Puraskar, Raghuvir Sahay Samman and Shamsher Samman.>Login To Save for Revision
- Reliance Defence inks strategic partnership MoU with Emirates Defence Industries Co.
- Anil Ambani-controlled Reliance Defence Ltd, established as a unit of Reliance Infrastructure Ltd has signed an agreement with Emirates Defence Industries EDIC) for manufacturing, services, knowledge transfer and technology development from the UAE.
- The MoU seeks to boost partnership between both countries for manufacturing and building capabilities in defence vehicles, aviation and associated areas, defence equipment and armament manufacturing, defence electronics, commercial and naval ships and MRO of Military Equipment / Platforms.
- Reliance Defence has 11 subsidiaries in niche segments of the defence sector. This is the fourth such tie-up by the Reliance Group, which is trying to tap opportunities in the Indian defence space.
- The partnership will explore the opportunity in the UAE defence industry, where costs for setting up facilities, recruiting and developing scientists and engineers are high. The partnership will aim to build synergy, bring down operational costs and leverage each others' capabilities.
Emirates Defence Industries EDIC :-
Emirates Defence Industries EDIC is a leading integrated Defence Company in UAE it is in the process of finalizing the acquisition of Tawazun-owned pistol and rifle maker Caracal, light ammunitions maker Caracal Light Ammunition, ammunition systems company Burkan, Mubadala's unmanned systems developer Abu Dhabi Autonomous Systems Investment (ADASI) and AMMROC, the advanced military maintenance, repair and overhaul center.>Login To Save for Revision
- India signs Loan Agreement with ADB for upgrading Tourism Infrastructure and Services
The Government of India signed a loan with Asian Development Bank (ADB) for US 123.51 million dollars for Infrastructure Development Investment Program. The tranche 3 of the Infrastructure Development Investment Program will be used to upgrade tourism infrastructure and services in Punjab, Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh.The third tranche loan is part of the 250 million USD multi-tranche financing facility that ADB approved in 2010.
Where will loan be used ?
>Login To Save for Revision
- The loan will be used for development and conservation of places of tourist attractions. It will also be used to improve basic tourism facilities, and to build the capacity of sector agencies and local communities in the States of Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Punjab.
- To improve income opportunities for the local communities, more than 4,000 community members are set to be trained in tourism-related skills such as guides, crafts, and other recreational activities. At least 30 community-based societies will be made operational in the management of natural and cultural heritage sites.
- Upgrade tourism infrastructure like provisioning of drinking water, street lighting, drainage, solid waste management and improvements to approach roads
- Develop eco-parks and eco-tourism in order to help the states to attract more tourists and it will include new facilities including centres for arts and crafts.
- Involvement of local communities in the management of natural and cultural heritage sites which in turn will create employment for poor and vulnerable households.
- Suresh Prabhu launches railway knowledge portal
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has launched a knowledge portal for dissemination of detailed information on Indian Railways the knowledge portal is in line with the 'Digital India', .
- Indian Railway Knowledge Portal which is accessible at (www.kportal.indianrailways.gov.in), is an initiative of the National Academy of Indian Railways and has aggregated most of the available knowledge about Indian Railways at one location by linking websites, documents for dissemination of knowledge on the public transporter.
Key facts about the Knowledge Portal :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- With the launch of the Knowledge portal the knowledge about Railway systems does not remain confined to a few select, but all the enthusiasts, researchers, academicians.
- This portal will be a comprehensive holistic platform as a 'one stop arrangement' for everyone interested in Indian Railways in particular and Railways in general.
- It has e-access to existing libraries of Railways, and all the libraries are being clustered to have a single interface through e-Granthalaya by NIC.
- The Knowledge Portal Home Page also gives a brief of all the social media activities of the Indian Railway sites. Besides the portal has web pages on fan clubs, heritage, and rail museums across the world.
- INS Kochi commissioned into Indian Navy
- Indian Navy (IN) has commissioned INS Kochi, the stealth-guided missile destroyer. INS Kochi is the largest and most powerful vessel designed and completed in the country till date. The warship is the second of three destroyers being built at the Mazgaon Docks in Mumbai. The ship is christened after the port city of Kochi.
- 'INS Kochi' has been been built by Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) and is part of the project code 15A. It measures 164 metres in length and 17 metres in width, it can displace around 7,500 tonnes of water and can attain a speed in excess of 55 kilometres per hour. It is equipped with four Ukrainian gas turbine generators and one diesel alternator.
"INS Kochi" is well equipped with all major weapons :-
- The ship is one of the few warships of the world and the second in the Indian Navy to have Multi-Function Surveillance and Threat Alert Radar to provide target data to Long Range Surface to Air Missile system. The ship has been assigned a crew of about 40 officers and 350 sailors.
- Like her predecessor INS Kolkata, which was commissioned in August 2014, INS Kochi is armed with AK-630 rapid fire guns, indigenously-designed torpedo and rocket launchers, the long-range supersonic BrahMos missile as well the 76mm Super Rapid Gun Mount (SRGM). It is protected from all kinds of cyber threats
- Its anti-submarine arsenal consists of indigenously built Twin-tube Torpedo Launchers (ITTL), Indigenous Rocket Launchers (IRL) and bow-mounted new generation HUMSA Sonar Dome. INS Kochi is also equipped to operate 2 Sea King or Chetak helicopters
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.