33 per cent quota for women in government jobs in MP
- The Madhya Pradesh government has decided to provide 33 percent reservation to women in government jobs. The decision in this regard was taken during a cabinet meeting presided over by Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
- With this decision the reservation to women in government jobs in the state has been increased from present 30 per cent to 33 per cent. However in this regard, permission would be sought from the Election Commission as by-polls are slated to be held in two places in the state next month.
Other decisions taken by the Madhya Pradesh government :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- Madhya Pradesh will cut its annual budget by 15 per cent this year to compensate losses of farmers. The state has planned to extend a minimum Rs 7,000 crore support to drought-hit farmers this season.
- Government is committed to extend support of Rs 7,000 crore; Rs 3,000 crore for soyabean crop loss, Rs 3,000 crore against crop insurance and Rs 1,000 crore interest waiver this year.
- The state govt. has also decided to give monthly pension of 2500 rupees to the relatives of those who were killed in anti-Sikh riots of 1984 in the state.
- Samiran Chakraborty appointed as Chief Economist of Citibank India
Global banking major Citibank has appointed Samiran Chakraborty as chief economist for India. Chakraborty, has more than a decade of experience in conducting macro research, covering various asset classes including currency, interest rates and credit markets.
Facts about Samiran Chakraborty :-
- Before joining Citi, Samiran Chakraborty was Managing Director and Head of Macro Research for South Asia at Standard Chartered Bank.
- He has also held prior employments with ICICI Bank as Chief Economist and Delhi School of Economics as faculty for mathematical Economics and open-economy macroeconomics.
Facts about Citibank India :-
Citibank India is an Indian private sector bank headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It is a subsidiary of Citigroup, a multinational financial services corporation headquartered in New York City, United States.
Establishment:- Established in 1902 in Calcutta (Kolkata), Citibank has a long history in India.
It operates 44 full-service Citibank branches in 31 cities and over 700 ATMs across the country. Citibank is an employer of about 7,500 people>Login To Save for Revision
- India, France ink MoU on preserving Written Heritage at National Library in Kolkata
- The Union Ministry of Culture and National Library of France have entered into an MoU under which the two countries would cooperate in conservation, development and publicity of written heritage at the National Library, Kolkata.
- The MoU was signed between Sreya Guha, Joint Secretary (Library) in the Union Ministry of Culture and Bruno Racine, President of the National Library of France.
- Under the MoU, the two countries would collaborate in preserving, identifying and publicising written heritage and iconographies heritage. The two countries would also share expertise such as description of Indian manuscripts in Sanskrit and Tamil.
Key Facts of the MoU:-
>Login To Save for Revision
- A programme on digitisation of old manuscripts and documents was started in France seven years ago which will assist India in digitisation of it's old manuscripts.
- It would also help in the development of digital co-operation, sharing of technical and other expertise, competency and skill-building and cultural co-operation between both the countries.
- The Ministry of Culture has also emphasised on the project of building a National Virtual Library of India. The newly signed agreement will make it possible for gaining their experience and high quality expertise in this field.
- Govt appoints 5-member review panel to review research grants offered by UGC
- Amid unrelenting protests by students against the scrapping of the non-NET fellowship by the University Grants Commission, the government has appointed a five-member panel to review the research grants offered by UGC. The panel will submit its report to the HRD Ministry by December, 2015.
- The Central Government has also directed the UGC not to implement the Commissions decision to discontinue the non-NET fellowships and continue all existing fellowships,"
- The committee has been asked to: determine the feasibility of enhancing the coverage of NET fellowships which are merit based, establish a transparent system of transfer of fellowship amounts.
What is the protest all about :-
- UGC had resolved to discontinue the scheme of non-National Eligibility Test (NET) fellowship, which is provided to those undertaking research in central universities across India, in a meeting held on October 7, contending that the fellowship programme was discriminatory in nature and lacked uniformity among universities in the selection process.
- The Commission had also cited shortage of funds as the reason behind inability to provide fellowships, triggering protests last week by the students from universities across Delhi demanding that the decision be revoked.
- Under the scheme, financial assistance was provided to students undertaking MPhil and PhD of Rs 5,000 and Rs 8,000 per month respectively. PhD students got assistance for four years and MPhil students for 18 months. They also got a contingency amount per year to help them carry out their research.
- Hundreds of students from JNU, DU, Jamia Millia, Ambedkar University and other institutions have been camping outside UGC office since last week demanding that the authorities restore the fellowships.
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Current Affairs, News & Facts of 29 Oct 2015
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.