Phase I of Chennai Metro Rail Service launched by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa flagged off the Chennai Metro Rail services through video conferencing from the state secretariat.
- The first phase of Chennai Metro Rail services will connect Alandur in south Chennai and Koyambedu in the north. Each train having four coaches is expected to cover the one-way distance in 18 minutes
- The Chennai Metro Rail will cover seven stations on the stretch - Koyambedu, Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus, Arumbakkam, Vadapalani, Ashok Nagar, Ekkattuthangal and Chennai Metro Rail Limited's depot at Koyambedu.
- The first phase of Chennai Metro has two corridoors, one covering the distance between Washermanpet and the airport and the other running between Chennai Central and St Thomas Mount.The launch was initially planned for October last year but was met with many delays.
The first Metro service in India was the Kolkata Metro, which started operations in 1984 while Delhi Metro was India's first modern metro>Login To Save for Revision
- Satnam Singh makes India proud becomes NBA's first Indian-born player
- Satnam Singh Bhamara became the first Indian to be drafted by National Basketball Association,Mavericks chose him with the 52nd overall pick at the 2015 draft.
- Bhamara has been training in the US for five years after being chosen to attend an IMG basketball academy in Florida which sharpened his skill
- Satnam though is expected to work on his game further in the developmental league (D-League)
- Satnam Singh has represented the India national basketball team at the 2011 FIBA Asia Championship and the 2013 FIBA Asia Championship
- Satnam Singh had led the Punjab state youth team to a national championship in June of 2010 and also leaded Basketball Federation of India (BFI) to chose him to play at an NBA Basketball Without Borders camp in Singapore
- The 19 year-old 7 foot 2 incher from Ballo Ke village in Punjab
What is IMGR
>Login To Save for Revision
- In early 2010, it was announced that the global sports marketing business IMG would partner with Reliance Industries, the largest corporation in India, to form a new company known as IMG Reliance (IMGR).
- In India, IMG has formed a joint venture with Reliance Industries, India’s largest company, to develop and own sports, fashion and entertainment properties
- IMG Reliance has signed a 30-year partnership with the Basketball Federation of India (BFI) to develop basketball at every stage - from grassroots to a professional league.
- The BFI has granted IMG Reliance commercial rights, including sponsorship, advertising, broadcasting, merchandising, film, video and data, intellectual property, franchising and new league rights.
- Tribal women entitled to inherit property in accordance with Hindu Succession Act
>Login To Save for Revision
- Those days are gone when tribal women from Himachal Pradesh were barred from the right to inherit ancestral property under societal laws.
- The Historical judgment was made by the Himachal Pradesh High Court on June 23 this year that tribal women are entitled to inherit property in accordance with Hindu Succession Act, 1956.
- Now according to new decision the daughters in tribal areas in the state shall inherit the property in accordance with Hindu Succession Act, 1956 and not as per customs and usages which will prevent the women from social injustice and all forms of exploitation
- Since they profess Hindu rites and customs they do not follow different Gods their culture may be different but customs must conform to the constitutional philosophy
- The women have to be advanced socially and economically to bestow upon them dignity. The daughters in a society, who are Hindu, cannot be left and segregated from mainstream. They are entitled to equal share in the property, needless to add that gender discrimination violates fundamental rights
- It is a landmark judgement in the interest of poor, illiterate and jobless women (widows, deserted, divorced and unmarried) who are subject to much harassment and are made to live at the mercy of others in the absence of anything in hand
- The women did command much respect in the tribal society, especially with the polyandry system also in vogue until some decades ago, and never felt the need of the right to inherit property
- The tribals are not carrying forward the values of old times, when there was lot of respect for a widow or unmarried woman. The inheritance right was the need of the hour to enable the single women in tribal areas live with dignity
- Andhra Pradesh government to form Krishi Cabinet
>Login To Save for Revision
- To give more thrust on agriculture Chief minister N Chandrababu Naidu unveiled his plan to formulate a 'Krishi cabinet' with a group of ministers headed by himself
- Krishi cabinet will look into the challenges of the Primary Sector Mission undertaken to make agriculture and its allied activities profitable and sustainable for all-round improvement of the rural economy.
- The mission was rechristened as ‘Rythu Kosam’all this would be part of the government’s strategy to achieve 18.2 per cent growth in 2015-16 fiscal year to enhance the contribution of primary sector to the Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP) from Rs.1.43 lakh crore to Rs.1.69 lakh crore
- The government is also planning to distribute fertilizers, seeds and pesticides through fair price shops to curb black marketing
- Officials also suggested that certificate courses on best farming methods and training classes should be conducted for farmers
- 3.7 lakh soil samples were collected by using geo-tagging technology and SMS alerts would be sent to farmers about the changes to be adopted in farm practices
- Light Combat Helicopter clears hot weather trials
- Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) indigenously designed and developed bY Hindustan Aeronautics Limited's (HAL) has successfully completed the hot weather flight trials in Jodhpur.
- Test flights were carried out in the temperature range of 39 to 42 degree Celsius. These were done with the involvement of customer pilots from Indian Air Force and Army in presence of representatives from RCMA and DGAQA
- The chopper, currently under testing phase cleared the test which paved it's way for the Initial Operational Clearance (IOC), expected by the end of this year and is likely to enter production from 2017-18.
- The chopper has already completed cold weather flight tests at Leh in February this year and the hot weather test was due for June in Rajasthan.
- The LCH was subjected to temperature survey of engine bay, temperature survey of hydraulic system, assessment of performance, verifying the handling qualities and loads at different AUWs (all up weights), checking low-speed handling capabilities and capturing the height-velocity diagram establishment
- Light Combat Helicopter's third trial aircraft (LCH TD-3) made its first flight in November last year, marking a new milestone in the development of an indigenous attack helicopter that can fight in the country's treacherous and mountainous fronts of north and east.
- The need for a versatile combat copter was strongly felt after the 1999 Kargil attack, which could provide air defense amidst mountains, against slow-moving targets, as air escort, in urban warfare, counter-insurgency and anti-tank operations.
- A modest optional substitute of LCH is the Rudra, a weaponized version of HAL's multi-use Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH).Rudra has a relatively limited defensive role compared to the combat-ready LCH
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.