Toyota Remains World's Top-Selling Carmaker with 10.5M Vehicles Sold In 2015
Japanese automotive manufacturer Toyota Motor Corp. has topped the global auto industry, with 10.5 million sales in 2015, beating Volkswagen and General Motors. With this it kept the title of world's biggest automaker for the fourth straight year.
German automaker Volkswagen which has dented it's image by a pollution-cheating scandal, has ranked second in global vehicle sales list by selling 9.93 million vehicles worldwide, while Detroit-based General Motors (GM) ranks third in the list by selling 9.8 million vehicles worldwide.
It should be noted that in 2008, Toyota broked the General Motors (GM) 7 decades of long reign as the world’s top automaker but in 2011 it lost it's top position due to devastating earthquake-tsunami disaster that disrupted it production facility but it restored itself and in 2012 it once again overtook GM and since then it has remained on top position.
Toyota Motor Corporation
It is a Japanese automotive manufacturer headquartered in Toyota, Aichi, Japan. It has more than 3.5 lakhs employees worldwide and is the eleventh-largest company in the world by revenue. Toyota is the world's first automobile manufacturer to produce more than 10 million vehicles per year.>Login To Save for Revision
- Australia honours 3 PIOs with it's highest civilian award
Three persons of Indian-origin (PIO) have been honoured with Medal of the Order of Australia, 2016 which is Australia’s highest civilian honour. They have been honoured for their contribution in the fields of physics, engineering and medicine. The award was annonuced on the eve of Australia Day which is celebrated on 26th January.
The awardees are
Chennupati Jagadish: An eminent professor at Australian National University (ANU) in Canberra
Jay Chandra: An eye doctor in New South Wales
Sajeev Koshy: A dentist in Melbourne
Contribution in the field of science
- Chennupati Jagadish : He has been honoured for his eminent service to physics and engineering, particularly in the field of nanotechnology. He had played exemplary role as leading academic, researcher, author and mentor. He is an eminent professor at Australian National University (ANU) in Canberra. He works on semiconductor optoelectronics and nanotechnology.
- Jay Chandra : He is an eye doctor who has been the head of vitreo-retinal surgery at the Westmead Hospital since the unit opened in 1985. He has been awarded for his significant service to medicine in the field of ophthalmology as a clinician, and to the international community through eye care programs.
- Sajeev Koshy : He is a dentist in Melbourne and has been conferred with the award for his service to dentistry in the State.
About Medal of the Order of Australia
The Order of Australia is an order of chivalry which recognises Australian citizens and other persons for achievement or meritorious service. It was established on 14 February 1975 by Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia.>Login To Save for Revision
- Cognizant acquires KBACE Technologies
US-based software services exporter Cognizant Technology Solutions (CTS) has acquired KBACE Technologies, a global consulting and technology services company for an undisclosed amount.
It should be noted that over the past 5 years, Cognizant has made significant acquisitions to diversify into newer geographies and businesses. One of the most important acquisition was that of healthcare IT firm TriZetto for USD 2.7 billion which is one of the largest deals in the history of global technology services
Cognizant, which has a large majority of its 219,000 employees in India will strengthen and expand its digital capabilities from its critical business applications to cloud-based IT infrastructures. Moreover about 400 consultants and other business functions from KBACE would come under Cognizant as part of the deal .
Cognizant is US-based software services exporter. It is headquartered in Teaneck, New Jersey, United States. Over two thirds of its employees are based in India.In 2015, the Fortune magazine named it as the world's fourth most admired IT services company
KBACE Technologies which is a leading Oracle Cloud partner that specializes in cloud strategy is headquartered in New Hampshire. It has a huge customer base of its Oracle Cloud implementation services.>Login To Save for Revision
- India overtakes Thailand as world's largest rice exporter
India has overtaken Thailand as the worlds largest rice exporter in the year 2015 by exporting 10.23 million tonnes of rice. The announcement in this regard was made by Bangkok based Thai Rice Exporters Association Chairman Charoen Laodhammatas.
Other top rice exporters
Thailand : Thailand which has a strong tradition of rice production has been ranked second on the list of the world’s largest rice exporting countries because it has exported 9.8 million tonnes of rice in year 2015 compared to 10.9 million tonnes in year 2014.
Vietnam : It was ranked third largest rice exporter with 6.4 million tonnes.
China : It has remained the number one importer country of rice in the year 2015.>Login To Save for Revision
- Rajasthan Government signs MoU to join UDAY scheme
Rajasthan has become the third state to sign a memorandum of understanding for joining the central government’s state electricity distribution utility revival scheme "UDAY (Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana)".
MoU in this regard was signed between the central government, Rajasthan government and the three electricity distribution utilities in Rajasthan – Jaipur Vidyut Vitran Nigam Ltd (JVNL), Jodhpur Vidyut Vitran Nigam Ltd (JVVNL) and Ajmer Vidyut Vitran Nigam Ltd (AVNL).
How will it benifit Rajasthan ?
Currently power discoms in Rajasthan have a total debt of 80,500 crore rupees which is 18.7 per cent of the country’s total discom debt of 4.3 lakh crore rupees but joining UDAY scheme will benifit Rajasthan by the following ways :-
- Rajasthan government will take over 75 percent of the total debt that is Rs.60500 crore would be taken over by the State government and the remaining Rs. 20,000 crore will be issued as state guaranteed DISCOM bonds at coupon rates of around 3 per cent lower than the average existing interest rate.
- Due to this distribution utilities of Rajasthan will save around Rs. 3,000 crore annually through reduction in annual interest cost and moreover by increasing the operational efficiency and ensuring AT&C losses, an additional revenue of Rs.7,300 crore is expected to come to the DISCOMs till fiscal 2018-19
Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojna (UDAY)
- UDAY Scheme launched by Union Ministry of Power aims at making DISCOMs financially and operationally healthy, to be able to supply adequate power at affordable rates, and enable the Governments to make efforts towards 100 per cent Village electrification and 24X7 Power For All.
- UDAY scheme power distribution companies (discoms) will convert their debt into state bonds, and ensure struggling discoms to shake off years of losses and start on a path to profitability.
Most Popular Stories
Latest TidbidsLike us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.
- Australia honours 3 PIOs with it's highest civilian award