India asks Iran to expedite procedures for Farzad-B gas field
In an meeting between External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Iranian Minister for Economic Affairs and Finance Ali Taiebnia, India has emphasised to Iran the need for early completion of all necessary procedures for its participation in the Farzad-B gas field worth 5 billion US dollars.
Joint Commission Meeting :
>Login To Save for Revision
- In the Joint Commission meeting, Swaraj and Taiebnia reviewed the progress in trade and economic cooperation and related issues, besides discussing possibilities of cooperation in railways sector, including in supply of rails, rolling stocks, signalling and other works.
- The Iranian side suggested participation of India's public and private sectors in development of Chabahar Port and Chabahar Free Trade Zone (FTZ) and in setting up an industrial units in the FTZ.
- Anti-jamming capability of Astra missile successfully tested
The anti-jamming capability of the air-to-air Astra missile was successfully validated in recent trials conducted by missile scientists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
During the trials conducted the ECCM (electronic counter-counter measure) features to overcome any jamming was successfully evaluated. It should be noted that this test was conducted after the missile’s RF seeker and other electronic components were sought to be jammed in the earlier trials.
Several developmental trials, including captive flight mode, have already been completed, and with some more trials to be carried in future including air launch trial with a warhead, the missile will be inducted into the Indian Air Force (IAF) in 2015.
Facts to know about Astra missile :
>Login To Save for Revision
- Astra missile is an active radar homing beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) developed by missile complex at Hyderabad and several DRDO laboratories in partnership with the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited and the Indian Air Force.
- The all-weather, radar homing missile has high manoeuvrability and capability to engage and destroy aerial targets at supersonic speeds of 1.2 Mach to 1.4 Mach
- It can engage targets in head-on up to 80 km and tail-chase up to 20 km modes. It can reach up to altitude of 110 km when fired from an altitude of 15 km.
- It is a 60-km plus range missile which possesses Shot Kill Probability (SSKP) making it one of the most reliable in its class of weapon systems.The missile could be launched at different altitudes from sea level to 20 km for engaging aerial targets at various ranges.
- DRDO is looking to integrate the missile with Su-30, and also plans to mount it on other fighter aircraft including Tejas Light Combat Aircraft, Mirage-2000 and MIG-29.
- Shiva Keshavan wins silver medal at 2015 Asian Luge Championship
Indian winter sports athlete Shiva Keshavan has won a silver medal at the 2015 Asian Luge Championship held in Nagano, Japan. The first place was claimed by defending champion Hidenari Kanayama of Japan, and third by South Korea’s Kim Dong-hyeon.
The race consisted of two heats closely contested by athletes. Though in the first heat Shiva was a mere 2/10th of a second behind, minor technical snags cost him the gold medal in the second heat. It should be noted that in the previous editions of the event, Shiva had won two gold, silver and two bronze medals for India.
What is Luge ?
It should be noted that Luge is one of the three Olympic sliding sports. It is the fastest and most dangerous sports on ice and is part of Winter Olympic program since 1964. Lugers can reach speeds of 140 km per hour (87 mph). Lugers compete against a timer and on artificial tracks are timed to a thousandth of a second, making luge one of the most precisely timed sports in the world>Login To Save for Revision
- Ministry of Women and Child Development launches e-office
Ministry of Women and Child Development has launches e-office in line with the spirit of good governance initiative of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.The e-office was launched by women and child development (WCD) minister, Maneka Sanjay Gandhi along with other officials of the Ministry. Under the e-office scheme of the Ministry 12,000 files have been digitized with an aim to provide transparent, efficient and time-bound services to the public.
Key facts about e-office :
- The e-office project of the Ministry was initiated in July, 2015 and it has been very successful as 13383 number of Total Files have been processed till 22nd December, 2015), Receipts are also getting scanned and processed in e-Office (23993 number of total Receipts processed till 22nd December, 2015).
- Several modules of e-office i.e, File Management System, Knowledge Management System, Leave Management System, Tour Management System, have been running under the e-office.
- Under the e-office, every receipt of any paper is scanned and digitized and the new file is opened. The file is then processed electronically as per specified procedure and specified hierarchy.
Advantages of e-office :
>Login To Save for Revision
- In the new system, a file will take only 4-5 days for processing as compared to 30-40 days earlier and it will also be possible to locate the point at which it is held up.
- The e-office has resulted in substantial reduction of processing time which directly impacts the delivery mechanism of the ministry, both for the State Governments as well as related civil society organizations.
- The e-office has also resulted in better accountability and transparency and will ultimately result in higher manpower efficiency
- Renowned science-fiction writer George Clayton Johnson passes away
World famous science-fiction writer George Clayton Johnson, who penned the script for the first Star Trek episode, The Man Trap, passed away in Los Angeles, US. He was 86. Clayton was best known for dystopian novel Logan’s Run, which adapted into a 1976 film starring Michael York and was nominated for two Oscars.
George Clayton Johnson :
>Login To Save for Revision
- George Clayton Johnson, was born on July 10, 1929 in Cheyenne, United States. He was forced to repeat the sixth grade, and dropped out of school entirely in the eighth. Prior to becoming a full time writer he had served as a telegraph operator and draftsman in the United States Army.
- He has co-written the novel Logan's Run with William F. Nolan, that was adapted in film and was nominated for best cinematography and art direction Oscars.
- He had penned television scripts for The Twilight Zone including Nothing in the Dark, Kick the Can, A Game of Pool, and A Penny for Your Thoughts that earned him immense fame.
- Microsoft signs MoU with Andhra Pradesh Government
Andhra Pradesh Government has signed a Memorandum of understanding (MoU) with tech giant Microsoft India on various technology initiatives for governance such as using cloud solutions to help deliver digital services better. The MoU was signed during the meeting of Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella’s meeting with Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu in Hyderabad, Telangana.
Microsoft India will support building of up to three proof-of-concept (POC) solutions to apply Microsoft Azure Machine Learning and Advanced Visualization in the fields of education, agriculture and eCitizen services. These POC solutions will be built and deployed to address specific problems within crucial sectors such as education and agriculture to achieve better outcomes for the State.
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.