Pfizer and Allergan combine in biggest drug merger ever
- In one of the biggest corporate deals ever US drugs giant Pfizer Inc. has announced that it would buy Ireland based Allergan for 160 billion dollars making it the biggest pharmaceuticals merger deal in history of healthcare sector.
- The merger, which still needs regulatory approval, would bring blockbuster drugs like Pfizer's Lyrica, Enbrel and Viagra and Allergan's Botox and Restasis under one corporate roof.
- The new drug company would be the world’s biggest with USD 63.5 billion in yearly sales, 110,000 employees and USD 9 billion in annual research spending. Under this deal, Allergan shareholders will receive 11.3 shares in the merged company for each of their Allergan shares.
Tax saving one of the motto behind acquisition :-
Tax saving are one of the main drivers for acquisition, mergers like Pfizer-Allergan are known as tax inversions. In such deals, bigger American companies buy smaller foreign ones and then switch their headquarters (at least on paper) to the location of the smaller company. The deal would move New York-based Pfizer (PFE) to Ireland making it the latest merger that will let a U.S. company slash its federal corporate tax bill.>Login To Save for Revision
- Indo-Pak border in Jaisalmer lighted with Solar power
The floodlights on India-Pakistan border along with fencing and posts managed by BSF will soon get lighted with solar energy. Union home ministry of India has approved the setting up of a 5 MW of solar power house at Tata area in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.
Once this project gets successful, all the international borders of the country will be powered with solar lighting, implemented in various phases. On implementing this project, the government can save crores of rupees using solar power and also save on diesel used for generators.
On the guidelines of union home ministry, solar-based water heating system of five mega watt is proposed to be set up at Jaisalmer. Solar Energy Corporation of India will set up this pilot project.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given directions to set up solar energy plants nearby border posts to cut the huge electricity expenses on border posts. The PMO has sent a note in this regard to union home ministry.>Login To Save for Revision
- Taylor Swift wins big at 2015 American Music Awards
Pop star Taylor Swift emerged as the winner at the American Music Awards by bagging three top prizes— song of the year for “Blank Space”, favourite pop/rock album for “1989” and favourite adult contemporary artist. Other big winners included boy band One Direction, who nabbed favourite pop/rock band, duo or group and artiste of the Year.
Other Winners :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- Carrie Underwood won the favourite female artist award in country music category.
- Ariana Grande bagged the favourite female artist trophy in pop/rock category
- The favourite male artist trophy in pop/rock category went to Ed Sheeran
- Rihanna became the winner in the favourite pop/rock female artist category.
- Favourite artist in the electronic dance music category went to DJ Calvin Harris.
- Delhi assembly passes CrPC (Delhi Amendment) Bill, 2015
- The Delhi Assembly has passed a bill proposing amendments in the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) Act. The passed bill amends section 176(1) of the CrPC Act, 1973 and widens the scope of magisterial inquiry into cases of suspicious death, rapes in police custody and suspicious disappearances.
- Currently, the Delhi government is empowered to order magisterial probe (SDM inquiry) only in cases of custodial death, homicide, suicide of a woman or death of a woman within seven years of her marriage.
- Through government does not want to limit the scope of the magisterial inquiry only to custodial death, homicide, suicide of a woman or death of a woman but to any other act which the state government thinks fit for a magisterial inquiry.
Centre-state flashpoint :-
The passage of this bill is considered as Centre-state flashpoint as the bill challenges the authority of Parliament as Delhi Assembly is empowering itself by passing the bill. However the Ruling Delhi Government has mentioned that CrPC Act, 1976 enacted by Parliament is a subject in the Concurrent list (having 52 items) in the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution of India and having power to amend it.>Login To Save for Revision
- Opposition candidate Mauricio Macri wins Argentina’s presidential election
Conservative opposition candidate Mauricio Macri has won Argentina's presidential election, ending 12 years of leftist rule. Mr Macri had secured more than 53 per cent votes defeating his rival Daniel Scioli of ruling Peronist Party who secured 47 per cent votes. Macri becomes only the third non-Peronist leader since the end of military rule in 1983. Macri's win ends a political era dominated by Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner and her late-husband Nestor Kirchner.
Facts about Mauricio Macri :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- Born on 8 February 1959 in Tandil, Argentina. Mauricio Macri is an Argentine civil engineer, businessman and politician. He is son of Francisco Macri who is one of Argentina’s richest man Francisco Macri.
- He gained recognition as president of one of the most popular football clubs in Argentina, Boca Juniors. He was elected in 1995 and reelected in 1999 and 2003, to complete one of the most successful periods of the club, winning several international competitions.
- Earlier in October 2015, Mr. Macri who is the mayor of Buenos Aires had lost to Mr.Scioli who is the governor of Buenos Aires province in the first round of voting.
- Roger Van Gent appointed as strategic coach of Indian Men’s Hockey Team
Dutchman Roger Van Gent has been appointed as the strategic coach for the Indian men’s Hockey. He will be the strategic coach of the team till the 2016 Rio Olympics.His appointment to the post was announced on 7 November 2015 by Hockey India.
Van Gent will be joining the coaching staff for the Indian men’s hockey team and will be assisting High Performance director and chief coach Roelant Oltmans to work towards the much awaited Hero Hockey World League (HWL) Final to start later this month and for the Olympics.
Van Gent embarked on his coaching career after securing the International Hockey Federation (FIH) high performance coaching qualification in 2000. Ever since then he has worked with various domestic teams in the Netherlands.
The Indian team is currently training at the SAI centre in Bengaluru and is schedule to take on Australia in a three match Test series starting from November 19 before the Hero Hockey World League Final from November 27.>Login To Save for Revision
- Marathi actor Prashant Damle selected for Dinanath Mangeshkar award
Noted Marathi actor Prashant Damle will be conferred with the Master Dinanath Mangeshkar Award for outstanding contribution in the field of theatre, film and music. The announcement was made by Pandit Hridaynath Mangeshkar at the 100th show of Damle's Marathi play "Karti Kaljat Ghusli". The award will be presented by Lata Mangeshkar in April next year on the occasion of the death anniversary of Master Dinanath.
About the award :-
- The prestigious annual award is given to personalities from Marathi and Hindi theatre, music and films. Instituted in 1999 by Lata Mangeshkar and her family in the fond memory of her father, the award comprises of a cash prize of Rs one lakh, a moment and a citation.
About Prashant Damle :-
- Prashant Damle is a Marathi actor, comedian who has acted in numerous Marathi dramas, movies and television serials for over 29 years.He has been associated with Marathi Theatre since 1983 and till date has performed in 26 different plays and variety of roles.
- In the journey of 29 years of performing arts, he has been honoured with many prestigious awards. Till date he has 4 Limca Book Records in his name. He has also performed in 37 Marathi Feature Films and 24 marathi serials.
Most Popular Stories
Latest TidbidsLike us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.