17-year-old golfer Aditi Ashok becomes first Indian to win Ladies British Amateur
- Golfer Aditi Ashok made history by becoming the first Indian to win the Ladies British Amateur stroke-play championship 2015 at Leeds, United Kingdom. In her Winning match Aditi shot four days total of 11-under 285 (71,73,70,71) at the par 74 Moortown Golf Club, Leeds
- The 17-year-old Bangalore girl Aditi Ashok has earlier won the St Rule Trophy at St Andrews in July this year and finished second in the 2015 European Women's Amateur Championship. She also had claimed the overall title called ‘The Nicholls Trophy’ and ‘Dinwiddy Trophy’ which are given for the under-18 golfer with lowest score.
- Currently Aditi Ashok holds 52nd position in the World Amateur Golf Rankings. Aditi beat 39 players from around 30 countries including the 2015 Scottish Open Amateur Stroke-play winner Olivia Mehaffey of Ireland who took the second spot at six-under 290.
Image source : India.com>Login To Save for Revision
- Syrian woman journalist Zaina Erhaim honoured with Peter Mackler Award for Courageous and Ethical Journalism
- A Syrian-based journalist Zaina Erhaim, who has trained citizen reporters in the war-ravaged country has been named the recipient of the 2015 Peter Mackler Award for Courageous and Ethical Journalism.
- Syrian journalist has trained about 100 citizen reporters from inside Syria, approximately a third of them women, in print and TV journalism, and helped establish new, independent newspapers and magazines in the country.
- The 30-year-old Erhaim is also the Syria project coordinator for the Institute for War and Peace Reporting (IWPR), an international organisation that supports journalists in countries undergoing conflict, crisis or transition.
- It should be noted that the media rights group noted that Syria has been the deadliest country for journalists since 2011.
Mackler Award :-
- The Peter Mackler Award honors reporters and editors who have demonstrated a commitment to fairness, accuracy and speaking truth to power, and a matching commitment to asserting the right to publish or air that story in countries where independent media is under threat.
- Mackler Award was created in 2008 to honour the memory of Mackler, who died of a heart attack that year at the age of 58.
Image source :Yahoo>Login To Save for Revision
- Usain Bolt beats Justin Gatlin to win world 100m title at World Athletics Championships
- Jamaican Usain Bolt won the 100 metres title at the world athletics championships in Beijing by crossing the line in 9.79 seconds to reassert his status as the fastest man on the planet.
- American Justin Gatlin, the form sprinter of the last two years, finished second in 9.80 to take silver, while Andre de Grasse of Canada and American Trayvon Bromell crossed the line together in third place in a time of 9.92. In doing so Bolt became the third sprinter - after Americans Carl Lewis and Maurice Greene - to win the world title on three occasions.
- The 100 meters world record (9.58 secs) was set by Bolt in the Berlin edition in 2009. The Jamaican also won the event in Moscow in 2013, while also winning the gold in the same in the last two Olympics.
This victory was the victory of good over evil because by defeating Justin Gatlin who has been banned twice for drugs offences, he landed a significant blow for clean athletes rallying against the dopers who tranish the image of athletics by their immoral act of doping
Image source :mail online>Login To Save for Revision
- Roger Federer beats Novak Djokovic to win Cincinnati Masters
- Roger Federer beat world number one Novak Djokovic to win a record seventh Cincinnati Masters title in men’s singles title category. Through this victory Roger Federer avenged his Wimbledon final loss to Novak Djokovic
- In the final match played at Ohio near Cincinnati, US he defeated world number one, Novak Djokovic by 7–6, 7-1 and 6–3 score. Prior to this Roger Federer had knocked out Britain's Andy Murray in the semi-final. Before this Roger Federer had won this title in 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2014.
Other winners :-
- Women’s Singles Title :- Serena Williams (US) won the women’s Singles Title by defeating Simona Halep (Romania) by 6–3, 7–6 and 7–5
- Women’s Doubles champions Title:- Chinese Taipei pair of Chan Hao-ching and Chan Yung-jan won by defeating Casey Dellacqua (Australia) and Yaroslava Shvedova (Kazakhstan) pair by 7–5, 6–4 score.
- Men’s Doubles champions Title:- Daniel Nestor (Canada) and Edouard Roger-Vasselin (France) pair won by defeating Marcin Matkowski (Poland) and Nenad Zimonjic (Serbia) pair by 6–2, 6–2
About Cincinnati Masters titles:-
>Login To Save for Revision
- The Cincinnati Masters is an annual outdoor hardcourt tennis event held in Mason, Ohio near Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. It is currently sponsored by the Western and Southern Financial Group and called the Western & Southern Open.
- The event started on September 18, 899 and is the oldest tennis tournament in the United States played in its original city. The tournament is the second largest summer tennis event in the U.S. after the U.S. Open
- Gujarat set to become the first state in the country to launch ‘agro-solar policy’
- Gujarat is set to become the first state in the country to launch 'Agro-Solar policy' under which farmers will be motivated to tap energy from sun which will also help them earn additional income from power generation companies,
- Under 'Agro-Solar policy' farmers and power generation companies will be in a win-win situation with generation of solar energy in agricultural fields.
- Power Generation Companies like GIPCL (Gujarat Industries Power Company Limited), GSECL ( Gujarat State Electricity Corporation Limited) and GPCL ( Gujarat Power Corporation Limited) have set up SPV plants in farm fields on the experimental basis.
- Farmers are likely to get 30 to 40 per cent share from the profit of power generation companies and the solar photo voltaic plant will be set up on poles so that farmers can also grow their crops.
Image source :dnaindia>Login To Save for Revision
- World Athletics Championships: Lalita Babar breaks national record in 3000m steeplechase, qualifies for final
- Lalita Babar of India broke the national record in the 3000m steeplechase event of the 2015 World Athletics Championships in Beijing and qualified for the women's 3000m steeplechase final in the World Athletics Championships.
- The 26-year-old, Lalita Babar who also won a silver in this event in the 2014 Asian Games, is the first Indian to have qualified for the final round of the 3000m steeplechase event in a World Championships.
- Babar finished fourth in her heat with a timing of 9:27.86 mins while Tunisia's world leader Habiba Ghribi, the Olympic silver medallist, won her heat in 9:24.38 for the best mark in the qualifiers.
- The second fastest was German Gesa Felicitas Krause, with a timing of 9:24.92 and Ethiopia's Hiwot Ayalew was third fastest in 9:25.55 among the 15 runners who qualified for the finals.
Everytime Lalita Babar makes a new national record :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- At the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea, she won the bronze medal clocking 9:35.37 in the final. In the process, she broke the national record held by Sudha Singh.
- At the 2015 Asian Championships, Babar won the gold medal clocking 9:34.13 and broke her own personal record, the Indian national record and the games record.
- Again she shattered the national record at the 2015 World Championships in Beijing with a time of 9:27.86 in her qualifying heat
- Australian cricket legend "Arthur Morris" passes away
>Login To Save for Revision
- Former Australian Test opening batsman Arthur Morris, a member of Don Bradman's 1948 Invincibles team, has died aged 93
- Arthur Morris has played 46 Test matches between 1946 and 1955 and made 3533 runs at an average of 46.46 and captained Australia in two Test. He had retired from international cricket at the age of 33.
- Morris made his Test debut against England during their tour of Australia in 1946- 47 when he overcame a slow start to make three consecutive centuries. Morris is regarded as one of Australia's greatest left-handed batsmen.
- Bandhan Bank starts its operation as full-fledged scheduled commercial bank
- Bandhan Bank commenced operations on Sunday with the simultaneous launch of 501 branches, a loan book of Rs 10,500 crore and savings accounts totalling 1.43 million becoming the newest member of the estimated $2-trillion Indian banking industry.
- Bandhan Bank is starting operations with 1.43 crore accounts, a loan book of around Rs 10,500 crore and 19,500 employees.To begin with, it has got 501 branches, 2022 service centres and 50 ATMs across 24 states.
- As per Bandhan Bank over 71 per cent of the branches will be in rural India, including at least 35 per cent in unbanked rural pockets.
State-wise branches of Bandhan Bank:-
- West Bengal 220
- Bihar (67)
- Assam (60)
- Maharashtra (21)
- Uttar Pradesh (20)
- Tripura (20 )
- Jharkhand (15)
Bandhan Bank is headquartered at Kolkata. It has two divisions - micro banking and general banking - and will offer complete retail financial solutions, including a variety of savings and loan products. Chandra Shekhar Ghosh, is the founder, managing director and CEO of Bandhan Bank.
The size of banking assets in India reached $1.8 trillion in fiscal year 2013-14 and is expected to touch $28.5 trillion by 2024-25
Key facts :-
- Bandhan Bank is the first instance in India of a microfinance entity transforming into a universal bank. It received an in-principle approval from the RBI in April 2014 and the banking regulator's final nod on June 17, 2015
- Its investors include IFC, SIDBI and Caladium Investment Pte Ltd, a company managed by GIC Special Investments Pvt Ltd.
- Bandhan began as a not-for-profit micro-finance enterprise in 2001 with the idea of making a significant contribution towards alleviation of poverty by empowering women.It transformed itself into a non-banking finance company in 2006.
Image source :kolkata24x7
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.