Defence ministry launches website to make defence acquisition process simpler and transparent
Seeking to make defence acquisition process simpler and transparent, Union Ministry of Defence has launched a new Make in India website www.makeinindiadefence.com that will provide an interface with industry and promised to finalise the new revised defence procurement procedure by January.
The website was launched by Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar in New Delhi. It was launched in line with Union Government’s ambitious goal in the process of creating a level playing field with more transparency in defence sector procurements.
Key features of the portal :
- Website (www.makeinindiadefence.com) would act as an enabler for the industry to get the latest news and notification regarding various aspects of the defence production.
- The portal will provide information related to all policy and procedural issues relevant for defence manufacturing industry. It will provide link to industrial promotion policies and programmes of various states and union territories.
- The portal also gives an opportunity to an individual company to seek clarifications or ask questions, which according to the Defence Ministry officials would be answered within three working days.
The much awaited new Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) is in the final stages of finalisation and will be declared by January 2016. The new Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) will focus on ‘Make in India’ and aims to have 40 per cent of defence procurement under ‘Make in India’ initiative from the current 30 per cent and raising it to 70 per cent indigenisation in the next five years.>Login To Save for Revision
- Spain’s ruling conservative People’s Party topped 2015 general election
The ruling Conservative People's Party (PP) of Spain led by Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has won the 2015 general election of the country. In the 2015 general elections of Spain PP won the 123 seats by securing in the lower house of the 350-member Parliament and securing 28.7 percent vote share. It fall 54 short of the 176 seats needed for an absolute majority. The Socialists came second, with 90 seats and 22% of the vote.
The People’s Party will have to form a coalition government with support of other political parties to govern for another four-year term. Two new parties could now hold the balance of power in a future coalition government: the anti-austerity Podemos won 69 seats, the centrist Ciudadanos 40.>Login To Save for Revision
- PM Modi flags off electric bus for MPs
Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off first prototype pollution free electric bus for Members of Parliament.The bus powered by battery has been gifted by the Road Transport and Highways Ministry to Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan, to ferry MPs at Parliament. The bus has been named as 'Go Green' bus.
Key facts about 'Go Green' bus :
- 'Go Green' bus is a 15-seater battery powered bus coloured in green and blue. The bus is a collaborative effort between the Union Transport Ministry and Pune-based technology company KPIT
- The bus is powered by lithium battery developed by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and is very economical. A diesel bus produces 300 kg carbon monoxide, 600 kg of nitrous oxide and 12 kg of particulate matter annually while electric bus is pollution free.
- The noiseless bus can save carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions up to 48,000 kg a year. That’s equal to planting 2400 plants annually and will also save diesel worth Rs. 10 lakh a year.
India wants to manufacture high-powered batteries at affordable prices as at present only imported Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) batteries are used in such buses. Transport ministry has decided to convert at least a dozen city buses to electric ones and thereby take steps to check air pollution.>Login To Save for Revision
- Cochin Shipyard becomes the first shipyard in India to make LNG ships
India has joined select club nations to build Liquefied natural gas (LNG) ships as state owned Cochin Shipyard has been granted licence by French company Gaztransport and Technigaz (GTT) to use the membrane technology for construction of LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) carriers for any client world-wide, making it the first shipyard in India to get the nod, joining the league of South Korea, Japan and China.
The Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) signed a licence agreement with GTT in the presence of Union Minister for Shipping Nitin Gadkari in New Delhi. The agreement has made CSL the first Indian Company to be licensed to build LNG vessels. Construction of LNG vessels is likely to start next year.
Key facts about LNG ships :
>Login To Save for Revision
- The French company Gaztransport and Technigaz (GTT) holds patented technology for building LNG ships. No Indian shipyard has made LNG carrier yet, which costs over USD 200 million (around Rs 1,326 crore).
- LNG carriers and tanks designed with GTT containment systems are used for carrying and storing liquefied gases like LPG and ethylene. GTT licenses its technology to shipyards and contractors.
- LNG vessels are very complex ships, and only a few shipyards world over have the capability to build these ships.The most critical aspect of an LNG ship is its cryogenic containment and handling system as the LNG is carried at a temperature of -163 degrees.
- Mireia Lalaguna Royo of Spain wins Miss World 2015 title
Mireia Lalaguna Royo of Spain has been announced as the winner of 2015 Miss World pageant. By winning this title she became the 65th Miss World. Royo was passed on the crown by last year's winner Rolene Strauss of South Africa. The 65th Miss World pageant took place at the Crown of Beauty Theatre in Sanya, China.
Mireia Lalaguna, 23-year-old Spanish Model who won 2015 Miss World pageant comes from Barcelona and is currently studying pharmacy and wants to do a MA in Nutrition.
Top three winners of Miss World 2015 contest :
- 1st place - Spain
- 2nd place - Russia
- 3rd place - Indonesia
Previous Miss World's :
- South Africa: Rolene Strauss (2014)
- Philippines : Megan Young (2013)
- China PR : Yu Wenxia (2012)
Indian Miss World's :
- Aishwarya Rai - 1994
- Diana Hayden- 1997
- Yukta Mookhey- 1999
- Priyanka Chopra- 2000
The Miss World pageant is the oldest surviving major international beauty pageant. It was created in the United Kingdom by Eric Morley in 1951. Since his death in 2000, Morley's widow, Julia Morley, has co-chaired the pageant. Traditionally, Miss World lives in London during her reign.>Login To Save for Revision
- Highest ever farmer suicides in Maharashtra since 2001
About 2,590 farmers from across Maharashtra have committed suicide from January to October 2015, the highest number of suicides since 2001. Data of last two months is yet to be compiled. In 2006, 2,376 farmers had ended their lives. Last week, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis announced Rs 10,512 crore package for Maharashtra’s farmers but refused to declare a complete loan waiver.
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.