Beti Bachao Beti Padho Scheme extended to 61 more districts with low child sex ratio
Government has extended the ambitious 'Beti Bachao, Beti Padho' scheme in additional 61 districts across 11 States and Union Territories with low Child Sex Ratio.
It was announced by the Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi while addressing the function in New Delhi.
The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD), is the nodal agency for the implementation of the scheme.
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme
>Login To Save for Revision
- The Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme was launched by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 22nd of January 2015, in 100 districts of the country to address the issue of declining Child Sex Ratio. It has completed one year of implementation.
- It is a tri-ministerial initiative of Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- The scheme is designed to address the issue of declining child sex ratio and related issues of disempowerment of women through a life cycle continuum.
- The key elements of the scheme include awareness and advocacy campaign, multi-sectoral action and effective enforcement of Pre-Conception & Pre Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PC&PNDT) Act.
- Renowned Hollywood actress Doris Roberts passes away
Veteran Hollywood actress Doris Roberts passed away in Los Angeles in her sleep. She was 90. She was best known for her role as Raymond Barone's mother, Marie Barone, on the sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond (1996–2005).
Facts about Doris Roberts
Doris was born as Doris May Green on November 4, 1925 at Missouri, US and raised by her mother, Ann Meltzer, in The Bronx, New York.
Her acting career began in 1952 with a role on the TV series Studio One. She appeared in episodes of The Naked City (1958–63), Way Out (1961), Ben Casey (1963), and The Defenders (1962–63).
She made her film debut in Something Wild (1961) and later acted in various Hollywood films which include Madea’s Witness Protection, The Rose, and The Taking of Pelham 123.
Awards and Honours: She had bagged five Emmy Awards during her acting career. Four of them were for her role in Raymond and the other was for her supporting role on the series St. Elsewhere>Login To Save for Revision
- India’s Durga Thakur Promoted as International Hockey Umpire
International Hockey Federation (FIH) has promoted Durga Thakur from India as International Outdoor Umpire following her good performance at the recently-held Hawkes Bay Cup in Hastings, New Zealand.
About Durga Thakur
Durga Thakur is a 2011 graduate of Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports, Patiala.
She started her career as an umpire from the third Hockey India (HI) Sub-Junior Men & Women National Championship (Finals) held in Bhopal in 2013.
Her first international assignment was in 2015 at the double six-Nation Cup in Breda, Netherlands.
>Login To Save for Revision
- A physical education teacher at Modern School, New Delhi, Thakur has represented her state Himachal Pradesh in the National Championships in three sporting disciplines handball, basketball and hockey.
- Ms. Thakur is an addition other young Indian umpires currently officiating at the international level. There are 14 Indians in the elite league of international umpires (10 men, 5 women).
- Indian-American Geeta Pasi nominated as US envoy to Chad
US President Barack Obama has nominated Indian-American Geeta Pasi as the country’s next envoy to central African nation Chad.
Ms. Pasi, who served as the United States Ambassador to Djibouti from 2011 to 2014, is a career member of the Foreign Service.
She is at present the Director of the Office of Career Development and Assignments in the Bureau of Human Resources at the Department of State.
She had joined the US Foreign Service in 1988. Since then she has served at various posts in Cameroon, Ghana, India and Romania.>Login To Save for Revision
- India, Mauritius ink MoU to promote traditional medicine
India and Mauritius have inked an MoU to promote cooperation in traditional medicine and homeopathy.
The MoU envisages exchange of experts, supply of traditional medicinal substances, joint research and development and recognition of the traditional systems of health and medicine in both countries.
It also aims at promotion and popularisation of the various Indian traditional systems which fall under AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Sowa Rigpa & Homoeopathy).
The Union AYUSH ministry also has recently signed similar MoUs with Malaysia, China, Trinidad and Tobago, Bangladesh, Hungary and Nepal.
The financial resources necessary to conduct research, training courses, meetings and deputations of experts will be met from the existing allocated budget and existing plan schemes of AYUSH.
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.