First elephant hospital of Northeast India established at Kaziranga National Park
First elephant hospital of Northeast India has been established at the Kaziranga National Park in Assam. The hospital was set up at Mark Shand Memorial Learning Centre in Kaziranga National Park. It was inaugurated by Sir Evelyn de Rothschild who is founding patron of the UK-based charity Elephant Family.
Facts about Kaziranga National Park :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- Kaziranga National Park is a national park in the Golaghat and Nagaon districts of the state of Assam. It is a World Heritage Site.
- Kaziranga National Park hosts two-thirds of the world's great one-horned rhinoceroses. Kaziranga boasts the highest density of tigers among protected areas in the world and was declared a Tiger Reserve in 2006.
- The park is home to large breeding populations of elephants, wild water buffalo, and swamp deer. The park is home to large breeding populations of elephants, wild water buffalo, and swamp deer.
- MoU between India and Vietnam approved for cooperation in the field of Animal Health
The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its ex-post facto approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Vietnam for cooperation in the field of Animal Health. The MoU was signed in September, 2014. The MoU aims to promote mutual cooperation between India and Vietnam through joint activities in the areas of Animal Health and has agreed to:-
Exchange special information on animal health in general and particularly information on status of animal diseases of common concern, standards and procedures for animal quarantine and inspection status and progress of surveillance and monitoring programmes in place for animal diseases and food borne pathogens;
- Exchange of special information on meat processing, meat products and slaughter houses/abattoirs;
- Set up Mutual Recognition Agreement on Veterinary hygiene, health certificate between competent authorities of the two Parties.
- Cooperate in the training and upgrading human resources in the field of animal health.
The MoU shall remain in force for a period of 10 years unless either of the Parties give prior written notice of at least six months to the other Party of its intention to terminate the MoU.>Login To Save for Revision
- Boko Haram ahead of IS as world’s most deadly extremist group
Boko Haram has been named as the world’s most deadly extremist group in the Global Terrorism Index. The new report on global terrorism by the Institute of Economics and Peace reveals that Boko Haram murdered 6,664 people last year in comparison to ISIS's 6,073 victims.
Recently a suicide bomber exploded killing at least 34 people in Yola, a town packed with refugees from Nigeria’s Islamic uprising. Later that day, two more suicide bombers killed at least 15 people in the northern city of Kano and injured 53 people.
Corrupt military officials are balmed for military’s failures to combat the deadliest extremist group. Several high-ranking officials allegedly are linked to fraudulent and fictitious arms contracts totaling $5.4 billion.
Boko Haram, which was founded in 2002 as an Islamist movement against Western education and morphed into an armed insurgency in 2009, has rapidly expanded its scope and ambitions over the past two years, achieving international notoriety in the spring of 2014 by kidnapping more than 200 schoolgirls. Much like ISIS, the organization controls territory in Nigeria, and has declared a caliphate in that territory>Login To Save for Revision
- Delhi to host first International Qawwali Festival 2016
Delhi is all set to host the first International Qawwali Festival 2016 titled "Taali Ho" that is scheduled to be held from 12 February 2016 to 14 February 2016. This was announced during the performance by Qawwali singers from India and Pakistan at India Islamic Centre providing a glimpse of the festival. The festival aims to reinforce a notion that music is not restricted to any borders. The event is also set to showcase the evolution that Qawwali has undergone with artistes performing a fusion of old genre of music with a modern touch.
About Qawwali :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- Qawwali is a form of Sufi devotional music popular in South Asia (Pakistan, India, Bangladesh). It is a musical tradition that stretches back for more than 700 years.Delhi's Sufi saint Amir Khusro Dehlavi of the Chisti order of Sufis is credited with fusing the Persian, Arabic, Turkish, and Indian musical traditions to create Qawwali as we know it today in the late 13th century in India.
- Qawwali is performed mainly at Sufi shrines or dargahs throughout South Asia, it has also gained mainstream popularity. Qawwali music received international exposure through the work of the late Pakistani singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. Other famous Qawwali singers include Pakistan's Sabri Brothers, Bahauddin Qutbuddin and Aziz Mian.
- Intel India launches 'Ek Kadam Unnati Ki Aur' for rural digitisation
>Login To Save for Revision
- Intel India has rolled out its programme on digitisation of rural India - called "Ek Kadam Unnati Ki Aur" - from Telangana. It is an initiative aimed at working with the government to create the blueprint for the digitisation of rural India.
- The first such Digital India 'Unnati' Kendra has been set up at a Common Services Center (CSC) in Nadimpalle village of Mahabubnagar district of Telangana and will be used to create the framework for the Telangana Model Digital Village.
- It will also provide various citizen services under the Telangana government's e-panchayat programme, the centre will provide devices, relevant local content and training for citizens thereby creating opportunities for development and empowerment. Intel has roped in Micromax, HP, Snapdeal and Shweta Computers and Peripherals as partners for the initiative.
- Vijay Keshav Gokhale appointed as India’s ambassador to China
- Senior diplomat Vijay Keshav Gokhale who is currently the country's Ambassador to Germany, has been appointed as the Ambassador to China. He will replace Ashok Kantha, whose term will end in early January.
- Gokhale is a 1981 batch IFS officer, before taking up position in Germany as India’s top envoy, he has served in Indian missions in Hong Kong, Hanoi, Beijing and New York.
- In the Ministry of External Affairs headquarters, Mr. Gokhale has also held the posts of director (China and East Asia) and then Joint Secretary (East Asia) and is known to be one of the most knowledgeable officials, who is well-versed with China affairs.
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.