16th Loksabha Elections Stats
1) 62 women members elected, Highest ever (approx. 11% of total) as against 61 in last Loksabha.
- Highest number from BJP followed by Trinamool Congress .
- Out of Total candidates contesting elections (8163) 7.8% were women (2009 - 6.9 % were women contestants)
2) 1.1% of total polled votes were cast as NOTA (None of the Above) - nearly 60 Lakh votes.
- Highest in Chhattisgarh (1.9%) followed by Gujarat (1.8%) and Jharkhand (1.5%).
- Highest proportion was recorded in 2 ST reserved constituencies of Meghalaya while highest Number was recorded in SC reserved constituency of Nilgiri (Tamil Nadu)
3) Winner by highest margin : Narendra Modi from Vadodara (Gujarat) with 5.7 Lakh votes (2nd highest ever after 5.92 Lakh votes of Anil Basu of CPM in 2004).
- Winner by lowest margin - Thupstan Chhewang of BJP from Ladakh (J & K)
4) 305 seats were won with a margin exceeding 1 Lakh while 222 were with a margin between 5000- 1 Lakh.
- Only 16 seats were decided with a margin of less than 5000 votes.
5) Ladakh constituency of Jammu and Kashmir is the largest constituency in India.>Login To Save for Revision
- Adani Ports and SEZ acquires Dhamra Port in Odisha - largest port sector deal in India following that of Pipavav, Gujarat in 2005 by APM terminals BV.
>Login To Save for Revision
- Dhamra Port is one of the deepest port on east coast strategically located between two government owned Major ports - Haldia (Kolkata) and Paradip (Odisha).
- Tata Steel's mega steel plant is coming up at Kalinagar, Odisha.
- Adani Ports and SEZ (75% owned by Adani enterprises) : owns and operates 5 ports in India - Dahez, Hazira, Mundra (in Gujarat ), Mormugao (Goa) and Vizag (Andhra).
- 17th May : UN observes "World Telecommunication and Information Society Day"
- Purpose : to help raise awareness of the possibilities that the use of the Internet and other information and communication technologies (ICT) can bring to societies and economies, as well as of ways to bridge the digital divide.
- Theme for 2014 : Broadband for Sustainable Development
- Why : to mark the anniversary of the signing of the "first International Telegraph Convention" in 1865 and the creation of the International Telecommunication Union.
Current Affairs, News & Facts of 17 May 2014
Most Popular Stories
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.