"GAGAN" a Satellite-based navigation system launched
GPS-Aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) system which is a satellite-based navigation system was launched by civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju.The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the Airports Authority of India (AAI) developed the GAGAN system, at a cost of Rs. 774 crore, over 15 years
- India is the fourth country after US, Japan and Europe, to offer space-based satellite navigation services to the aviation sector.
- The launch of GAGAN system has bridged the gap in the coverage areas of the European Union’s European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS) and Japan’s Multi-functional Satellite Augmentation System (MSAS).
Facts about "GAGAN" system:-
>Login To Save for Revision
- It provides very accurate information on the location of an aircraft in terms of latitude, longitude and height, along with velocity and time
- GAGAN provides efficient navigation system and provide shorter routes so it will improve efficiency and increase fuel savings.
- GAGAN will also help in vertical guidance at runways, significant cost savings due to withdrawal of ground aids and reduced workload of flight crew and Air Traffic Controllers
- Currently Air Traffic Controllers read aircraft movement from GPS signals, they leave more than 50 meters as a margin of error while GAGAN reduces the error margin to 3.5 metres.
- Pluto starts revealing secrets as New Horizon draws closer
As NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft is approaching near to pluto and as it zoomz past Pluto new things are coming up, the dwarf planet isn't quite as dwarfish as the scientist thought in fact, it's the largest known solar system object beyond Neptune.
Facts that have came up :-
- Based on New Horizons imagery, its diameter is 2,370 kilometers (1,473 miles), plus or minus 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) which makes it almost 30 miles wider than Eris, the dwarf planet whose discovery led to Pluto's downfall as the "ninth planet" back in 2006 and it was considered no more as a planet
- Eris' diameter has been measured to be 2,326 kilometers (1,445 miles), plus or minus 12 kilometers (7.5 miles )
- The New Horizon probe will investigate not only Pluto but also its five moons: Charon, Styx, Nix, Kerberos and Hydra.
- New Horizons' measurements confirmed that Charon, Pluto's largest moon, is 751 miles (1,208 kilometers) across and that the smaller icy moons Nix and Hydra are 20 and 30 miles (35 and 45 kilometers) wide, respectively.
What is New Horizon ?
- New Horizons is an interplanetary space probe that was launched on January 19, 2006, as part of NASA's New Frontiers program.
- It was Built by the Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) and the Southwest Research Institute, with a team led by S. Alan Stern
- The spacecraft was launched to study Pluto, its moons and the Kuiper Belt, performing flybys of the Pluto system and one or more Kuiper Belt Objects
Facts about New Horizon :-
The New Horizon probe weigh around one thousand pounds and traveling at 31,000 m.p.h. from New Horizon’s position more than 4.88 billion km from Earth, radio signals that travel at the speed of light take nearly four and a half hours to reach the ground.Data will be radioed back to Earth over the next 16 months.New Horizons' flyby of 2,370 km-wide Pluto is a key moment in the history of space exploration.>Login To Save for Revision
- Flipkart offers Rs 50,000 allowance to employees for adopting kids
e-commerce major Flipkart has already relaxed maternity and paternity policies now it has moved one step ahead and decided an allowance of Rs 50,000 to employees looking to adopt children.
- The "adoption allowance" which is effective from July 10 can be used towards legal, agency, regulatory costs or any other expenses that may arise during the adoption process although according to government guidelines, the cost of the entire adoption process is Rs 46,000.
- Flipkart has, however, made it clear that the allowance and leaves would not be valid for women wanting to sponsor a child in any institutional care programme
New maternity leave policies of Flipkart :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- Flipkart will allow its female employees adopting a child below the age of 12 months the same benefits as under maternity leave policy, i.e., six months paid leave along with four months of flexible working hours
- For children aged over a year, the employee can avail three months paid leave and four months of flexible working hours
- The male employees can avail up to six months of paid adoption leave (can be availed within the first six months) and four months of flexible working hours.
- If the employee is looking at extending their adoption leaves, but they don't have enough leaves left, they can take unpaid leave for up to three months and continuity on the same job is assured
- Renowned music composer M.S. Viswanathan passes away at 87
one of the most popular music composers of south Indian cinema M.S. Viswanathan passed away at a Chennai hospital. M.S.Viswanathan had composed music for over 1,700 films in Tamil, Malayalam and Kannada and worked with four Chief Ministers N.T. Rama Rao, M.G. Ramachandran, M. Karunanidhi and Jayalalithaa.
- His first film was Jenova and the hero was M.G. Ramachandaran.
- MSV is popular for his collaboration with fellow composer T.K. Ramamoorthy . The duo composed music for 86 Tamil films during their association of over a decade
- such as “Sonnathu Needhana” (Nenjil Oru Alayam), “Viswanathan Velai Vendum” (Kadalikka Neram Illai), “Kettavarellam Padalam” (Thangai) that are still popular in Tamil
- He is a recipient of Kalaimamani and several other music awards.
MSV's career in the film world started with the Jupiter Studios in Tirupur. An office boy, his regular work involved cleaning the harmonium of the S.M. Subbiah Naidu, the music director of the studio. Later he joined C.V. Subbaraman, another music director. Both Ilayaraja and A.R. Rahman have worked with MSV.>Login To Save for Revision
- Lt Gen Man Mohan Singh Rai appointed as Vice-Chief of the Indian Army
Lt Gen Man Mohan Singh Rai has been appointed as the next Vice-Chief of the Indian Army. He is presently the Eastern Army Commander and will succeed Lt Gen Philip Campose who superannuates on 31 July 2015
>Login To Save for Revision
- Mohan Singh Rai is from the Corps of Engineers and is an alumnus of National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla.
- He was commissioned from the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehradun, on December 15, 1976.
- Lt General Praveen Bakshi, currently serving as Chief of Staff, Northern Command, will be elevated as Army commander and moved to Eastern Command.
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag too was the Eastern Army Commander before taking over the top post.
- World's largest cancer registry system set up in China
>Login To Save for Revision
- World's largest cancer registry system has been set up in China it will cover over 300 million people in a bid to fight the deadly disease with evidence-based and more-targeted intervention programmes.
- A cancer registry is a systematic collection of data about cancer and tumor diseases. Cancer registry records complete summary of patient history, diagnosis, treatment and status of every cancer patient. To date, medical costs have not been included in the registry
- It is to be noted that in China at least three million people develop cancer each year in and the registry is expected to expand to include 40 per cent of the nation's population of 1.36 billion by 2020
- Registry system will help experts and health authorities come up with evidence-based and more-targeted intervention programs.
- Anti-tank missile Nag tested from helicopter platform
India has test-fired its indigenously developed anti-tank guided missile Nag, which can hit a target upto 7 km, from a helicopter at a firing range in Jaisalmer in Rajasthan.
- Three-round trial of helicopter-launched Nag (HeliNa) missile were conducted at the Chandhan firing range.
- The two of the trials successfully had hit the target while one had reportedly missed the target.
- The trials were against both moving and static targets for different ranges of 2.8 km and 3.2 km to evaluate the performance of an improved version of Imaging Infrared (IIR) seeker.
What is HeliNa ?
HeliNa is a helicopter-launched version of Nag and has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP). It's Operational range is 500m to 4km (Land version), 7-10km (Air-launched).
Once inducted in the Armed Forces, the HeliNa missile will be integrated with the weaponised version of the Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) Dhruv, the light combat helicopter produced by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL).>Login To Save for Revision
- India, Tajikistan signed 2 pacts to strengthen bilateral relations
Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his last leg of strategic tour to 5 Central Asian countries (Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan) and Russia signed 2 pacts with Tajikistan to strengthen bilateral relations
The pacts that have been signed are :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- Exchange of Note Verbale (NV) on setting up of Computer Labs:- Through this pact India intends to set up computer labs in 37 schools in Tajikistan through this initiative India seeks to support Tajikistan in human resource and skill development efforts.
- Programme of Cooperation (POC) in the field of Culture:- This pact paves the path for cooperation in the field of culture between both nations through exchange of expertise for protection, preservation and promotion of cultural heritage. It also seeks the exchange of information and organization of cultural days for greater cultural understanding between the countries.
- India, Georgia ink MoU on electoral cooperation
India and Georgia signed a Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation in the field of election management and administration.The MoU was signed by Chief Election Commissioner of India, Dr. Nasim Zaidi, and Ms. Tamar Zhvania, Chairperson, Central Election Commission, Georgia
The major aims of MoU are:-
- Promotion of exchanges of knowledge and experience in electoral processes
- Exchange of information, materials, expertise and training of personnel
- Production and distribution of materials pertaining to electoral systems
- Voting technology
- Voters' education and awareness
- Participation of women and minorities in electoral process
The Election Commission of India has so far signed twenty MOUs with election management bodies and international organizations across the world. Some of the MoUs signed recently are with the Kyrgyz Republic, Yemen, Mauritius, Egypt, Venezuela and Republic of Korea,
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.