World Book Fair begins in New Delhi
Human Resource Development Minister Smriti Irani inaugurated the New Delhi World Book Fair which will be held in the country's capital for 9 days i.e, from 9 to January 17, 2016. India is the third biggest market for English publications with almost 12,000 publishers that publish around 90,000 titles a year in more than 18 languages.
Theme for the year 2016 : 'The Cultural Heritage of India' is the theme for New Delhi World Book Fair, 2016.
Guest of honour : China will participate with 250 publishers as the Guest of Honour country.
Key facts :
- More than 30 countries including China, Egypt, Germany, Malaysia, Nepal, Poland, Pakistan, Serbia, Spain and international agencies like WHO, UNESCO, will particiapte in the fair.
- Corresponding to the theme of the festival, more than 1,000 books in major Indian languages on philosophy, language and literature from ancient to contemporary times will represent the theme pavilion
About New Delhi World Book Fair :
- The New Delhi World Book Fair, is hosted annually at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi and is India's oldest book fair.The event takes place in winters.
- The first New Delhi World Book Fair was held from March 18 to April 4, 1972 with 200 participants. It was inaugurated by V. V. Giri, then President of India.
Organiser : New Delhi World Book Fair is organized by the National Book Trust (NBT), India in association with India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO)>Login To Save for Revision
- Raghuram Rajan Conferred Central Banker of the Year Award
RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan has been conferred with the Central Banker of the Year Award (Global and Asia Pacific) for year 2016. The award was conferred upon him by the The Banker, a monthly publication of Financial Times Group. This award recognises the officials and bankers who have best managed to stimulate growth and stabilise their country’s economy.
About Raghuram Rajan :
- Raghuram Rajan who is the 23rd Governor of RBI had taken charge in September 2013.
- Prior to becoming RBI Governor, he was chief economic adviser (CEA) to Union Ministry of Finance in 2013.
- Raghuram Rajan was chief economist at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) from 2003 to 2007.
- He was also professor of finance at the graduate business school at the University of Chicago.
Some other awards conferred upon Raghuram Rajan :
- Governor of the Year: In January, 2015 British magazine Central Banking, named Rajan as the ‘Governor of the Year'.
- Best Central Bank Governor award: In October, 2014, Rajan was conferred with the Best Central Bank Governor award for 2014 by Euromoney magazine.
- Deutsche Bank Prize: In September, 2013, Rajan was awarded awarded the Fifth Deutsche Bank Prize for Financial Economics 2013. He was conferred with the award in recognition of his research work which influenced financial and macro-economic policies around the world.
- Fischer Black Prize: Raghuram Rajan won the Fischer Black Prize in 2003. The prize, established in 2002, honours individual financial research. It is awarded for a body of work that exemplifies developing original research that is relevant to finance practice.
Book Authored : Rajan’s book How Hidden Cracks Still Threaten the World Economy won the Financial Times Business Book of the Year award in 2010.>Login To Save for Revision
- D.K. Sikri appointed as the chairman of Competition Commission of India
Devender Kumar Sikri, a former IAS officer of the Gujarat cadre, has been appointed as Chairman of fair-trade regulator Competition Commission of India (CCI). He succeeds Ashok Chawla, whose tenure as the Chairman of CCI ended on 7 January 2016 . Sikri, will have a tenure of about two and half years, i.e till he attains the age of 65 years.
Facts to know about D.K. Sikri :
- D.K. Sikri is a former IAS officer of Gujarat cadre. He has held various positions in Centre as well as in his cadre state Gujarat.
- He had also been Secretary in Ministry of Women and Child Development, Registrar General of Census and Collector of Rajkot and Jamnagar.
Competition Commission of India (CCI ) :
Competition Commission of India is the body under Government of India that is responsible for enforcing The Competition Act, 2002 throughout the country to prevent activities that have an adverse effect on competition among different industries and protect interests of consumers and ensure freedom of trade. The CCI acts as a quasi-judicial body which gives opinions to statutory authorities and also deals with other cases.
Established : It was established on 14 October 2003. It became fully functional in May 2009 with Dhanendra Kumar as its first Chairman
Predecessor : MRTPC (Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Commission) was the predecessor of Competition Commission of India which was functional prior to the Economic Reforms of 1991.>Login To Save for Revision
- Four new vaccines added to Mission Indradhanush
Four new vaccines have been added to the recently launched Centre's ambitious programme Mission Indradhanush to immunise children against preventable diseases.The new vaccines are inactivated polio vaccine, Adult Japanese Encephalitis vaccine, Rotavirus vaccine and Measles Rubella vaccine. Union govt. aims to bring the infant morality rate to single digits from the existing 28 per 1000 infants.
Mission Indradhanush :
Mission Indradhanush launched by the Union Govt on December 25, 2014 aims to immunize all children against seven vaccine preventable diseases namely diphtheria, whooping cough (Pertussis), tetanus, polio, tuberculosis, measles and hepatitis B by 2020.
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Current Affairs, News & Facts of 09 Jan 2016
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.