2nd BRICS Youth Summit kicks off in Guwahati
The second BRICS Youth Summit, 2016 was held in Guwahati, Assam from 1st July 2016 to 3rd July 2016. The summit was inaugurated by Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal in presence of Union Sports Minister Jitendra Singh.
The three day summit had witnessed 70-member foreign delegation including ministers and head of executive authorities on youth affairs from BRICS nations.
Theme : The theme for the prestigious event was "Youth as bridge for intra-BRICS exchanges"
Facts about BRICS Youth Summit, 2016 :
>Login To Save for Revision
- The convention of youths will focused on enhanced people-to-people contacts of BRICS members - Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- Over 50 foreign delegates, including ministers and head of executive authorities on youth affairs from BRICS nations, participated in the summit.
- The BRICS Youth Summit focused on skill development and entrepreneurship, social inclusions, youth volunteerism and youth participation in governance.
- SBI secures USD 625 million from World Bank for solar programme
India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) and the World Bank have signed an agreement worth 4,200 crore rupees (USD 625 million) to support grid-connected rooftop solar programme (GRPV) in the country.
Under GRPV programme, at least 400 MW solar capacity will be created across the country.
The programme will help the government to faster achieve its target to generate 40 gigawatt (Gw) of electricity from the widespread installation of rooftop solar photo-voltaic panels.
The eligible beneficiaries under the facility would be developers, aggregators and end-users, who wish to set up solar PV projects, mainly on commercial, industrial and institutional rooftops. Through this initiative, at least 400 megawatt (Mw) solar capacity will be created across the country.>Login To Save for Revision
- Punjab Government launches Rapid Rural Police Response System
Punjab Government has launched nation’s first Rapid Rural Police Response System across the state to ensure prompt and effective police response in villages to counter any crime or law and order situation in 20 minutes.
The system was launched Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, he also flagged off 400 new motor-cycles and 220 new Bolero four-wheelers.
The focus of the scheme is the rural population of the state and this is a unique one-of-its-kind Scheme in the country being specially focused on the rural population.
Under this response system any residents from rural area would only have to make a call on police helpline 100 for any kind of assistance from the police force.
The new system would be available for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to respond to all kinds of emergencies or ‘call-for-help’ from the citizens of the State.>Login To Save for Revision
- Kerala Government bans e-cigarettes
Kerala Government has banned e-cigarettes following study reports that the use of e-cigarettes could lead to cancer and heart diseases.
In this regard, an order was issued that banned the production, sale and advertisement of e-cigarettes in the state.
With this, Kerala became the fourth Indian state to ban e-cigarettes. The other three states are Punjab, Maharashtra and Karnataka.
Earlier in 2014, an expert committee appointed by the union government to study the ill effects of e-cigarette had recommended banning the device in the country.
>Login To Save for Revision
- They are handy electronic devices that emit doses of flavored liquid, which the user inhales.
- The fluid in the e-cigarette, called e-liquid, is usually made of nicotine, propylene glycol, glycerine, and flavorings.
- Non-smokers who use e-cigarettes risk addiction to nicotine.
- Sports Ministry grants recognition to Paralympic Committee of India
The Sports Ministry has granted recognition to Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) after the International Paralympic Committee announced temporary lifting of suspension imposed on the national body last year so that Indians can take part under the tri-colour in the showpiece event in September.
The IPC, on May 31, decided to lift the ban on the Paralympic Committee of India with the sole purpose of allowing para-athletes of the country to compete at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games under the tri-colour.This recognition gives a huge confidence boost to the several para-athletes who have qualified for 2016 Rio Paralympics.
The IPC had suspended PCI in April 2015 due to internal conflicts between different groups and persons, which were undermining the development of Paralympic Movement in India.
Following suspension, Indian para-athletes were not allowed to participate in any IPC-sanctioned competition, including 2016 Rio Paralympic Games.>Login To Save for Revision
- India’s first integrated Defence Communication Network launched
India's first integrated defence communication network (DCN) was launched by Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.
The network will be used by Army, Navy, Air Force and the Special Forces Command to share situational awareness for a faster decision-making process. It is the first tri-service communication and IT network of the Armed Forces.
Key Facts :
- HCL Infosystems has enabled the design, development and deployment of Defence Communication Network (DCN) the first tri-service communication and IT network of the Armed Forces.
- The hi-tech, fully secure DCN is the largest single satellite network in the Indian Defence Forces, spread across the country.
- This integrated communication architecture between the Army, Navy and Air Force bolsters the prowess of the Defence forces during both critical operations and rescue missions.
- HCL Infosystems has had a long association with the Indian Defence sector. The company has closely worked with the Indian Air Force to deploy The Air Force Network (AFNet) and AFCEL (Air Force Cellular Network).
AFNet: It is the first network of its kind for Indian Defence Institutions, which interlinks major installations throughout the country on a high bandwidth network. It incorporates latest traffic transportation technology in the form of Internet Protocol.>Login To Save for Revision
- Amul to officially sponsor Indian contingent at Rio Olympics 2016
India's largest food products marketing organization Amul has announced its sponsorship of the Indian contingent at the biggest multi-sport event at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
It should be noted that Amul had earlier sponsored the Indian contingent at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The contract in this regard was signed by Secretary General Indian Olympic Association IOA, Rajeev Mehta and Managing Director Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (Amul), R S Sodhi.
2016 Rio Olympics will play host to the largest Indian contingent ever in which more than 100 sports persons are taking part in different sporting events.
Amul aims to engage with youth and leverage the connection between the energy of milk and sports.
Amul based at Anand in the state of Gujarat was formed in 1946. It is a brand managed by a cooperative body, the Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd. (GCMMF), which today is jointly owned by 3.6 million milk producers across 18,600 villages of Gujarat. Dr. Verghese Kurien, founder-chairman of the GCMMF for more than 30 years (1973–2006), is credited with the success of Amul.>Login To Save for Revision
- Eminent Marathi literary scholar RC Dhere passes away
Eminent Marathi litterateur and folk scholar Ramchandra Chintaman Dhere, known for his ground-breaking work on Maharashtra’s religious traditions passed away after prolonged illness in Pune, Maharashtra. He was 86.
His other works that won acclaim included ‘Muslim Marathi Saint Poets’, ‘Dakshinecha Lokdev Khandoba’, ‘History of Nath Sampraday’ and ‘Sri Venkateshwara'.
He was a recipient of the Sahitya Academy Award in 1987 for his book ‘Sri Vitthal- A Mahasamanvayak (Lord Vitthal- A great coordinator)’.
Dhere wrote over 100 scholarly books, including some edited or translated works of others, on Marathi folk literature and culture, Marathi literature, religious sects in Maharashtra, and lives of sant poets. He also composed a few poems and musical plays.>Login To Save for Revision
- High-speed OPV INS Tarasa launched by Indian Navy
Indian Navy has launched INS Tarasa, the last ship in the series of four Water Jet Fast Attack Crafts (WJFAC) being built by Kolkata based Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE) for the Indian Navy .
The WJFACs are ideally suited for interception of fast-moving surface craft and will perform anti-smuggling, fishery protection and search and rescue operations.
Facts about INS Tarasa :
>Login To Save for Revision
- Powered by the latest 4,000-series MTU engines with advanced machinery control system, the ship will be fitted with CRN-91 indigenous 30mm gun with optronic pedestal and will have the latest communication equipment and radars to enable effective surveillance.
- With a 315 tonne displacement, the ship is designed for a maximum speed of 35 knots, with an endurance of nearly 2,000 nautical miles at 12-14 knots. It will perform anti-smuggling, fishery protection and search and rescue operations.
- National Doctors’ Day observed on 1st July
July 1 is observed as National Doctors’ Day all across the country to honour the legendary physician and the second Chief Minister of West Bengal, Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy. The Doctor's Day is observed to lay emphasis on the value of doctors in our lives.
He was an alumnus of the Medical College Calcutta of the University of Calcutta. He is one of the few people who completed both F.R.C.S. and M.R.C.P. simultaneously within only two years and three months.
He is often considered the great architect of West Bengal, who founded five eminent cities, Durgapur, Kalyani, Bidhannagar, Ashokenagar, and Habra.
He was awarded Bharat Ratna on 4 February 1961, India's highest civilian honour. He was also a member of the Brahmo Samaj.
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.