Vijay Kumar Choudhary elected as Bihar assembly Speaker
Senior Janata Dal (U) leader Vijay Kumar Choudhary has been unanimously elected as the new speaker of Bihar assembly. Chaudhary is close associate of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and has been five-term MLA from Sarairanjan assembly seat of Samastipur district. His appointment as the new Speaker in the 16th State Assembly was unanimously supported by all political parties.
Facts about Vijay Kumar Choudhary :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- Vijay Kumar Choudhary born on 8 January 1957 in Dalsinghsarai, Samastipur district of Bihar. He was banker with State Bank of India but resigned from his job and joined politics after untimely demise of his legislator father in 1982.
- In 1982 itself he won by-election from Dalsinghsarai on a Congress ticket and was elected from Dalsinghsarai for two more terms in 1985 and 1990.
- During his stint as a legislator from 1982-1995, he served as the Deputy Chairman of Bihar State Industrial Development Corporation (BSIDC) and Deputy Chief Whip of the Congress Legislature (CLP)
- He was nominated as the President of Bihar JD(U) in Feb 2010 won the subsequent legislative assembly elections from Sarairanjan (Vidhan Sabha constituency) and assumed the charge of crucial Water Resources ministry in the newly formed cabinet.
- He is credited along with Nitish Kumar for the completion of Durgawati Reservoir in 2014, a massive irrigation project started in 1976 which got delayed for 38 years because of multiple reasons.
- Sarangi maestro Ustad Sabri Khan dies at 88
Renowned sarangi maestro and Padma Bhushan award winner Ustad Sabri Khan died following a brief illness. He was 88.
About Ustad Sabri Khan :-
- Ustad Sabri Khan was born on 21 May 1927 in Moradabad, Uttar Pradesh. He was Sainia Gharana which traces the tradition of its music back to Mian Tansen, the great vocalist in the court of Moghul Emperor Akbar.
- Khan learnt Sarangi – playing by his grandfather, Ustad Haji Mohammed Khan and later continued his training under his father Ustad Chajju Khan, both accomplished Sarangi exponents of their time.
- Khan had a prodigious command over the Sarangi which is considered to be a difficult instrument to master in Indian instrumental music. He had generated his own style in Sarangi and combined it with traditional form of sarangi-playing.
Awards and Honours :-
He has received numerous honours and awards, including the Sahitya Kala Parishad Award, UP Sangeet Natak Academy Award, National Sangeet Natak Academy Award and the prestigious Padma Shree (1992) and Padma Bhushan (2006).
Music career :-
Khan had performed in Afghanistan, Pakistan, China, Japan, the erstwhile USSR, Russia, the US, Canada, the UK, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Spain, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Mexico. He had also played a duet with legend Yehudi Menuhin and had been a visiting professor to the University of Washington.>Login To Save for Revision
- India's Thakur Anoop Singh becomes Mr. World : Wins gold in World Body Building Championship
A trained pilot, a TV actor and a fitness freak, Thakur Anoop Singh earned the title of 'Mr World' by winning a gold medal in a world body building meet in Bangkok, Thailand. Anoop Singh was competing against athletes from 47 countries and won a gold medal in the "fitness physique" category of the seventh WBPF (World Bodybuilding and Physique Championships)
Thakur Anoop Singh has a pilot's license but he left his profession in 2008 when global recession had left airline industry reeling. He was forced to look at other options and so he decided to enter Fit Factor, which was India's prominent model search competition and bagged the role of Dhritarashtra in Mahabharata.
He worked hard on his body and finished third at the Mr Asia event recently. In Bangkok, competing against athletes from 47 countries he bagged gold in the "fitness physique" category of the seventh WBPF World Bodybuilding and Physique Championships. India won 11 medals in Thailand.>Login To Save for Revision
- ICBC to become Tata Group’s strategic banking partner
Tata Sons, the holding company of the India’s largest conglomerate, Tata Group, has entered into a long-term partnership with Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) under which ICBC will become strategic banking partner to the group. A team of Tata executives, led by Chairman Cyrus P Mistry, met with Jiang Jianqing, Chairman from ICBC and his team to formalise the engagement.
Under the partnership ICBC will provide the Tata group with financing products, global cash management, consulting, international trade finance business, investment banking, foreign exchange, derivatives trading, and other global financial services
ICBC will also create a global services team which will support Tata group's strategic development plans. The alliance will be a global one with the geographies covered including India, China, Singapore, Europe, the USA, and South America.
About Tata Group :-
- The Tata Group is an Indian multinational conglomerate headquartered in Mumbai, India founded in 1868. It is one of India's largest conglomerates.The Tata group has over 100 independent companies operating in more than 100 countries across six continents. In 2014-15, the combined revenue of Tata companies was USD 108.78 billion.
About Industrial and Commercial Bank of China :-
>Login To Save for Revision
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China is a Chinese multinational banking company with a network covering 40 countries, and the largest bank in the world by total assets and by market capitalization.
- It is one of China's 'Big Four' state-owned commercial banks ( the other three being the Bank of China, Agricultural Bank of China, and China Construction Bank )
- As of March 2014, it had assets of USD 3.62 trillion and considered the largest bank in the world by assets. It is the first Chinese bank to achieve such a feat.
- December 2 - International Day for the Abolition of Slavery
The International Day for the Abolition of Slavery organized by the United Nations General Assembly is observed yearly on December 2 to raise awareness about slavery and its impact on the society.
On December 2, 1949 the United Nations General Assembly approved "The Convention for the Suppression of the Traffic in Persons and of the Exploitation of the Prostitution of Others". The celebration of International Day for the Abolition of Slavery on December 2, also marks the date of adoption of the resolution.>Login To Save for Revision
- RBI and UK Financial Body ink pact for information exchange
The Reserve Bank has signed an agreement with the UK's Prudential Regulation Authority and Financial Conduct Authority for supervisory cooperation and exchange of information.
With this, the Reserve Bank has entered into Memorandum of Understanding/Letter for Supervisory Co-operation and Statement of Co-operation with supervisors of 33 countries to promote greater co-operation and share supervisory information.
The central bank had entered into an MoU for supervisory co-operation with the Financial Services Authority (FSA) of the UK in July, 2012. Subsequently, as part of comprehensive reforms implemented in UK financial services regulation, the functions exercised by FSA were transferred to PRA, FCA and Bank of England. The transfer of functions from FSA to PRA and FCA necessitated signing of separate MoUs for supervisory co-operation between the Reserve Bank and the PRA and FCA>Login To Save for Revision
- Aricent and Nasscom Foundation join hands to launch Aricent Employability Programme
Aricent has partnered Nasscom Foundation to launch 'Aricent Employability Programme', to create employability opportunities for 2,500 engineering graduates. These undergraduate students will be trained across Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Delhi NCR and Rajasthan.
Later the candidates will be assessed on NSDC-SSC NASSCOM Qualification Parameters and certified on the relevant job roles. The programme will train students in oral, written communication skills, problem solving, time management, customer orientation, business etiquettes and other soft skills.
Nasscom Foundation has identified iPRIMED and Global Talent Track to train on-campus skill development both through online and classroom.>Login To Save for Revision
- Koodiyattam exponent Margi Sathi no more
Noted Nangiarkoothu and Koodiyattam performer Margi Sathi passed away recently after a long battle with cancer. She was 50.
About Margi Sathi :-
Born to Sanskrit scholar Subramanaian Embranthiri and Parvathi Antharjanam in 1965, in Kerala's Thrissur district, Sathi joined Kerala Kalamandalam, a premier academy to learn Koodiyattam when she was only 11 years old. She trained at Kalamandalam for 8 years under gurus Painkulam Rama Chakyar, Mani Madhava Chakyar and Ammannur Madhava Chakyar.
She joined Margi dance institute in 1988. It was her association with the dance institute that gave the epithet Margi in her name. Margi is an organization dedicated to the revival of Kathakali and Koodiyattam, two classical art forms of Kerala.
She had performed in France, Spain, US and Germany. A notable performance was at the UNESCO headquarters in Paris in October 2001 as part of a programme to mark UNESCO's proclamation of Kutiyattam as a world heritage art.
Books authored :- "Sitayanam" (Stage presentation Manual) (2008), "Kannakicharitham" (Stage presentation Manual)(2002), "SreeRamacharitham Nangiarkoothu" (Stage presentation Manual) published as a book in 1999.
Awards and honours :- Kerala Sangeet Nataka Academy Award for Koodiyattam (2002), Kaladarpanam Award (2008), Nomination for the award of Padmasree>Login To Save for Revision
- Cabinet approves double taxation avoidance pact with Japan
The union cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved signing and ratification of Protocol between India and Japan for amending the Double Taxation Avoidance Convention (DTAC) in order to facilitate tax-related exchange of information.
DTAC was signed between the two countries in 1989 for avoidance of double taxation and prevention of fiscal evasion through a protocol. The protocol will facilitate information exchange on tax payments, including bank transactions and on those without domestic tax interest
A provision has also been made in the protocol for sharing information from Japan with authorisation of the its competent authority and vice versa in respect of an Indian resident with other law enforcement agencies.
The protocol facilitates both the countries to assist each other in revenue collection and exempting interest income from taxes in the source country on debt-claims insured by the government or state-run financial institutions.
What is double taxation avoidance pact ?
Double taxation is levying of tax by two or more countries/ jurisdictions on the same declared income, asset, or financial transaction. This double liability is often eliminated by tax treaties between countries such treaty between two countries is known as double taxation avoidance pact.>Login To Save for Revision
- Union Cabinet approves pacts with Germany for solar energy
The Cabinet has approved an agreement with Germany to expand bilateral cooperation in the field of solar energy. The MoU approved by the Union Cabinet was signed during Chancellor Angela Merkel’s visit to India in October, 2015, to expand bilateral development cooperation in the field of Solar Energy by increasing use of solar energy in India through technical as well as financial cooperation.
Key facts of the agreement :-
Under the agreement, Germany would provide concessional loans in the range of one billion Euros over the next five years through Kreditanstalt fur Wiederaufbau (KfW), a German government-owned development bank. The funds of KfW will also be utilized for providing soft loans to the end-users through partner banks.
The MoU will help in strengthening bilateral cooperation between the two countries and will also help India to meet some part of its ambitious target of generating 100 GW solar power generation capacity under the National Solar Mission (NSM) by 2022.
MoU with Germany for capital goods sector
The Cabinet has also approved a Memorandum of Understanding between Indian and Germany, for implementation of Make in India campaign for capital goods sector. The MoU has been signed between Department of Heavy Industries and Fraunhofer Gesellschaft . It will help PSUs to have access to the expertise of the Germany body. Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, Germany is a leading organisation of 65 institutes for applied industrial research in Europe.
The objective of the pact between Department of Heavy Industries and Fraunhofer Gesellschaft (Germany) is to provide platform to various public sector undertakings and capital goods sector units to have easy access to capabilities and expertise of Fraunhofer for identifying and plugging technology gaps in line with 12th Five Year Plan.>Login To Save for Revision
- Union cabinet gives nod to MoU between India and Israel in the field of water resources
>Login To Save for Revision
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Israel in the field of water resources management and development cooperation.
- The bilateral cooperation will benefit both the countries in strengthening the techniques in efficient use of water, micro-irrigation, recycling/re-use of waste water, desalination, aquifer recharge and in-situ water conservation techniques. A Joint Working Group shall be formed to monitor the activities to be carried out in fulfilment of the MoU.
- India has already entered into agreements with Australia, Rwanda, Cambodia, Iran, Iraq, Fiji, China and Bahrain in water resources management and development cooperation.
- Veteran industrialist MAM Ramaswamy passes away
Veteran industrialist, former parliamentarian and the last King of Chettinad, M A M Ramaswamy, passed away in Chennai following brief illness. He was 84 years old.
MAM Ramaswamy was born into a respected family in the Nattukottai Chettiar community, also known as ‘The Rajah Family’. He was renowned businessman, sports personality, educationist, philanthropist and politician.
- Political career :- He was a politician from Janata Dal (Secular) party and was a Member of the Parliament of India representing Karnataka in the Rajya Sabha
- Business career :- He was a veteran industrialist and founder of the Rs 10,000 crore business empire Chettinad Group. The Chettinad Group has diverse interests in cement, granite, engineering among others
- Sports career :- As he was building his business empire, he also developed a passion for horses and horse racing. He was the first to enter the Guinness Book of World Records for having won 100 Classics. The tally later went up to 400 classics. His love for sports did not end with horses; he had a great interest in tennis and hockey too. MAMR was the president of the Indian Hockey Federation and it was during his stewardship in 1975, India won its World Cup hockey championship.
- Educationist :- MAMR transformed the Annamalai University (in Chidambaram), founded by his family in 1929. From a mere seven departments, he developed it into an institution with 48 departments.
- Philanthropist :- He and his wife Sigappi Aachi were very generous. Anyone who knocked on their gates seeking help walked away with what they wished for
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.