Pakistan becomes member of CERN
The European Organisation for Nuclear Research, known as CERN, has formally conferred its associate membership on Pakistan following completion of required internal ratification process by it.Pakistan became the first Asian country to become member of CERN.
Advantages of CERN membership for Pakistan
- Pakistan can now participate in the governance of CERN, by attending meetings of its council. It will also allow the Pakistani industry to bid for CERN contracts
- It will also allow Pakistani scientists to become members of the CERN staff, and to participate in CERN’s training and career-development programmes.
Roots of the membership
- The cooperation between Pakistan and CERN can be rooted to the signing of a cooperation agreement in 1994. After Pakistan sought membership in 2013, CERN sent its task force to evaluate the country's science and technology base and industrial capabilities in early 2014.
- The task force was mandated to evaluate the membership application on three fronts: existence of solid basis in elementary particle physics, sufficiently developed industries and the will of the national authority to support the basic research.
- The CERN task force on all three accounts concluded that Pakistan fulfils the criteria and on Sept 18, 2014, CERN Council unanimously approved Pakistan’s membership application.
Image source :geo.tv>Login To Save for Revision
- Rajat Chauhan bags historic silver in World Archery Championship
- Rajat Chauhan earned India’s first-ever individual medal in the World Archery Championships when the compound marksman bagged a silver after going down to home favourite Stephan Hansen in the final.
- The 2014 Asian Games team gold medalist, Chauhan, was going neck and neck till the third set when he shot a poor 8 and 9 as Hansen gained a three-point lead before wrapping up the issue by 147-143 in the final.
- India thus opened their account in the ongoing World Archery Championship where they had never won any individual medal.
India women’s team wins silver in World Archery Championship
- The Indian women's recurve archery team of Deepika Kumari, Laxmirani Majhi and Rimil Buriuly won silver medal in World Archery Championship held in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- In the final match of World Championship they lost to Russia by 4-5 score. The Russian team comprising Inna Stepanova, Ksenia Perova and Tuyana Dashidorzhiev won the championship
Image source :Zeenews>Login To Save for Revision
- Indo-UK Bilateral Air Exercise Indradhanush concluded
Indo-UK bilateral Air Exercise Indradhanush between Indian Air Force (IAF) and British Royal Air Forces (RAF) concluded .The Exercise Indradhanush started in Britain on 21 July 2015. During the 10-day exercise different elements of the IAF contingent operated from separate RAF bases. The Sukhois operated from Corningsby, combat support elements from Brize Norton and the Garud special forces from Hunnington.The two air forces also operate common combat support platforms, namely the Globemaster and the Super Hercules.For the first time Ex-Indradhanush was conducted in 2007 at Waddington, UK.
India's joint military exercises with various countries are as follows:-
- Malabar => Naval exercise that takes place between India and U.S.
- Yudh Abhyas => Army exercise takes place between India and U.S.
- Red flag => Air Force exercise takes place between India and U.S.
- Cope => Army exercise between India and U.S.
- VARUNA => Joint exercise of Air Force between India and France
- GARUDA=> Air Force between India and U.K.
- EKUVERIN=> Defence exercise between India and Maldives
- NOMADIC ELEPHANT => Defence exercise between India and Mangolia
- HAND IN HAND => Defence exercise between India and China
- SLINEX => Naval exercise between India and Sri Lanka
- SIMBEX => Joint Naval Exercise between India and South East Asia especially Singapore
Image source :aviationweek>Login To Save for Revision
- Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics
- International Olympic Committee selected Beijing as the host for the 2022 Winter Olympic Games with this decision Beijing became the first city to have hosted both the Summer and Winter games
- Beijing beat the only other candidate Almaty, Kazakhstan 44-40 in the list of competiting host cities among IOC members in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Had Kazakhstan’s pitch been successful it would have become the first central Asian nation to host the Winter Olympics.
Why was Beijing considered a suitable host ?
- Although Almaty ticked many boxes but even than Beijing was choosen as suitable host since Kazakhstan has never before hosted a major global sporting event while Beijing was seen as a safe pair of hands, having hosted the 2008 Olympics.
- Beijing is not a mountainous city, so the skiing, snowboarding and sliding events will be held in Yanqing, 55 miles away from the capital, and Zhangjiakou, 100 miles away lot of artificial snow will be pumped for tyhe events
Image source :viralmedialife>Login To Save for Revision
- Lt Gen M M S Rai takes over as the new vice chief of Army staff
- Lt Gen MMS Rai today took over as the Vice Chief of Army Staff while Lt Gen Praveen Bakshi, who is tipped to be the next army chief replaced Lt Gen M M S Rai as the new General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Command in Kolkata
- Lt Gen M M S Rai was the Eastern Army Commander prior to his appointment as VCOAS. Lt Gen MMS Rai was commissioned into the Corps of Engineers (Bombay Sappers) on December 15, 1976, and joined an Armoured Engineer Regiment.
- He has held various staff and instructorship appointments and has attended various prestigious army courses, including the Defence Services Staff College Course at Wellington and Higher Command Course at Mhow
- He has rich operational and command experience and has commanded an Armoured Engineer Regiment, a Mountain Brigade in the Northeast, a Counter Insurgency Force in the volatile and highly militancy-infested region of J&K and a Desert Corps.
Image source:newsmobile.in>Login To Save for Revision
- India to host 2nd Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC)
- India will host the second conclave of the Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC) this year on 21 August 2015 in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- India will host the heads of 14 island nations at the Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC).This is seen as a first step towards greater engagement with the region, which is important from an economic and geostrategic standpoint.
- The upcoming summit in Jaipur is expected to pave the way for agreements in agriculture, food processing, fisheries, solar energy, e-networks for coordination in telemedicine and tele-education, space cooperation and climate change
- This summit has crucial strategic importance as New Delhi has begun charting out a plan for forging bilateral and regional ties with these island nations, China has significantly expanded its foothold in the region, from increasing business and trade ties to setting up diplomatic missions in each of these countries
Image source :The Hindu>Login To Save for Revision
- India and China hold first ever meet at Daulat Beg Oldie in Ladakh
- For the first time ever, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) today hosted an Indian Army delegation in the Daulat Beg Oldie (DBO) area along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh sector of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Indian delegation was led by Colonel BS Uppal and the Chinese delegation by Colonel Song Zhoanli. A cultural programme showcasing Chinese culture and tradition was also organised to mark the occasion.
Facts about People Liberation Army
>Login To Save for Revision
- People's Liberation Army is the armed forces of the People's Republic of China (PRC). The PLA is under the command of the Central Military Commission of the CPC
- The PLA consists of four professional service branches: the People's Liberation Army Ground Force, the People's Liberation Army Navy, the People's Liberation Army Air Force and the Second Artillery Corps
- The PLA is the world's largest military force, with a strength of approximately 2,285,000 personnel, 0.18% of the country's population
- Military service is compulsory by law; however, compulsory military service in China has never been enforced due to large numbers of volunteers from China's population
- Image source : economictimes
- US country singer Lynn Anderson passes away
- United States country singer Lynn Anderson passed away after she suffered a heart attack in Nashville, US. She was 67
- She was best known for her 1971 worldwide hit I Never Promised You a from Rose Garden.Lynn Anderson had bagged a Grammy for her 1970 classic song “Rose Garden”
- She was born in Grand Forks and raised in California, Anderson came from a musical family, Her parents Casey and Liz Anderson were both songwriters
- Anderson’s debut single, a duet with Jerry Lane called “For Better or for Worse”, was released in 1966, when she was just 19 years
Image source:news.yahoo>Login To Save for Revision
- Fourteen-year-old Ranveer Singh Saini wins gold at Special Olympics
- Fourteen-year-old Golfer Ranveer Singh Saini created history by becoming the first Indian to win a Gold medal at the Special Olympics World Games in Los Angeles
- The 14-year-old autistic golfer achieved the feat in GF Golf-Level 2 Alternate Shot Team Play event
- Earlier in 2013, Ranveer had become the first golfer from India to win 2 Gold medals at the Asia Pacific World Games.
- Gurgaon-based Golfer Ranveer Singh was diagnosed with autism, a neurological disorder characterised by impaired social interaction, at the age of 2. He took to the sport at the age of nine.
Anitya Chand who coached Ranveer right from beginning says "From holding a club for the first time to winning in Macau, Ranveer has come a long way. It wasn’t as easy as it sounds because the biggest challenge for me was to communicate with him. Soon he realized that he should listen to me and now he hits a 260 yards ball and can play with any normal golfer."
Image source :deccanchronicle>Login To Save for Revision
- China sets up world's largest mosquito factory to fight dengue
- China has set up the world’s largest mosquito factory in northwestern Guangzhou province to tackle dengue fever by releasing one million sterilised mosquitoes every week and these sterilised mosquitoes will dilute their population with insects that don’t carry the disease.
- Releasing sterilised mosquito to the wild is one of several innovative attempts to tackle dengue fever by diluting the mosquito population with insects that don’t carry the disease
- Last year China had the worst outbreak in two decades, with more than 47,000 cases, almost all in the Guangdong province.
- This was the first trial test in the field and it has been proved to reduce the mosquito population by 90 per cent, state-run Global Times reported.
- The mosquito-borne sickness causes pain so agonising it is also known as "breakbone disease".
Image source:deccanherald>Login To Save for Revision
- Saurav Ghosal and Joshna Chinappa bag National championship titles
- Saurav Ghosal and Joshna Chinappa reigned supreme, winning the men's and women's titles respectively in the 60th National Squash Championship
- Playing in front of a packed home support, Ghosal was quick to get into the groove as he had a commanding 7-2 lead before clinching the first set.
- Joshna Chinappa on Sunday upstaged second seed Line Hansen in straight games to win the USD 15,000 Victorian Open squash competition for her 10th WSA title.
Image source : NDTV
Most Popular Stories
Like us ?
By solving 2 + 2 won't make you genius or by liking Sai Baba post won't make you successful. But if you read boring current affairs delivered by erewise then it will certainly help you crack your exams.
Erewise is a revision web portal especially designed & dedicated to students who want to make it big in the world through their academic skills and talents.
We cater to the needs of those who seek career in high offices by cracking competitive exams like SSC, UPSC, Banking, State PCS and others by providing them with comprehensive and interactive learning contents that keep them abreast with the relevant news and events around the world in an appealing way.
Write for us
You can now write your ideas/views on the current affairs and let all others to read them by publishing them on our website.
It's a golden chance to analyse your state of preparations by writing on daily current events and reviewing response/comments received on them.